theautolounge.net
January 17, 2018, 04:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo  (Read 10177 times)
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »

gtr competitor?

well lets break that down:

gtr was banned from racing years ago due to its animosity and limitless tuning potential.
the older (real) gtr's were typically affordable to the middle class man who wanted something that looked like he was going to pick up grandma from bingo, but would stop for a hot lap along the way.

now the new gtr.... errrr - elongated over priced awd 370z with a twin hair dryer attachment is in the 100,000 dollar mark, which in my eyes is close to super car status.

-----------------
if you want a competitor to the old gtr, by means of practicality meets power... buy a new taurus SHO.

if you want a competitor to the new "gtr" which is designed to look nice and go fast for a price... buy yourself a used porsche turbo, a lambourghini, or a ferrari

you can't compete with it, it's in a class all it's own, you can't get much more for much less if you go used and and... or you can't come close to it if you want to buy expensive and keep it stock.

-----------------
the evo may have died 14 years ago, but it's heart was carried on in a mutant american translation of an awd turbo lancer. just because the evo badge has been hung up, doesn't mean the heart has died.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »

gtr competitor?

well lets break that down:

gtr was banned from racing years ago due to its animosity and limitless tuning potential.

What are you talking about? The Skyline GT-R was never banned from racing. It was racing all the way up till the 350Z GT500 replaced it in 2006. They were in SuperGT (was called JGTC back then) having won multiple championships in the R34 along with providing the most exciting years in SuperGT with championship battles between the R34 and NSX.

They also raced in multiple FIA sanctioned events and numerous drag racing sanctioning bodies overseas.

now the new gtr.... errrr - elongated over priced awd 370z with a twin hair dryer attachment is in the 100,000 dollar mark, which in my eyes is close to super car status.

You should probably research the GT-R. Even with the revised GT-R, you aren't reaching 6 figures. $80+k is about the price of a 2012 GT-R, hence why it was in MT's 5 figure supercar showdown.

if you want a competitor to the old gtr, by means of practicality meets power... buy a new taurus SHO.

The new Taurus SHO is a heavy and gigantic car that overshadows the R34 in size alone. It weighs over 4,000lbs and has been criticized that it really isn't that brutally fast as Ford wants you to think.

Wait, why are we comparing new tech to old? Apples to oranges...

if you want a competitor to the new "gtr" which is designed to look nice and go fast for a price... buy yourself a used porsche turbo, a lambourghini, or a ferrari

Again, apples to oranges. I'm talking about a brand new car to compete with the new GT-R. There's plenty of cars out there that are brand new that can compete with the new GT-R in both price and performance. The Shelby GT500 and Z06 are perfect examples of this. The new CTS-V Coupe would even be one hell of a competitor to the 2012 GT-R. Almost the same dimensions, same power, close to same weight, and the prices are comparable.

The LF-A was built to compete with the GT-R in performance, not necessarily in price. The new 520hp 911 Turbo S, the main competitor to the 2012 GT-R, can keep up with the GT-R with no problem.

you can't compete with it, it's in a class all it's own

Ah yes, the typical phrase from a GT-R fanboy. Please FabZ, don't turn into a GT-R fanboy.

the evo may have died 14 years ago, but it's heart was carried on in a mutant american translation of an awd turbo lancer. just because the evo badge has been hung up, doesn't mean the heart has died.

Ok, seriously, the Evo has ALWAYS been a hopped up Lancer. Hence the "Lancer Evolution" name. The Lancer Evos after the Evo 6 were still the same car and built in Japan. The Evos we got were the same Evos sold in Japan give or take 1 or 2 horsepower. They were never "Americanized".

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »

The SuperGT GT-R was a Skyline in the same way a NASCAR Fusion is a Fusion
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »

yeah because...

you can blame the descent of interest in real things to the mass media introduction to this kind of bullshit.  Look at the cartoons over there, some adult males marry computer programs that replicate their favourite animé character.

video games ^
real shit \/   

say good bye to the real world.

power rangers? 
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »

lol you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.. what's the price tag on the new porsche in comparison to the gtr (befoer dealer mark up)... thought so.

what i'm getting at.. is there is no point in manufacturing a car strictly to compete with another car.. especially one in which is completely on it's own performance level.

the evo is dead, boo hoo... has anyone on here ever owned one besides lambo? hell how many people have even owned a dsm, troggie and i? lol

what's all the fuss about?

it died because it is impractical, uglier than fuck, and over priced. if mitsubishi wants to continue, it needs to step away from the american one style fits all cosmetic bullshit, re invent the eclipse, and sell it in the gsx and gst models again.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »

Well, eventually... down the road, this is what we will be facing in selection for new vehicles. Mitsubishi wants a head start I guess, their current line up isn't particularly successful and since im an Impreza fan... I don't really care.
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »

it died because it is impractical, uglier than fuck, and over priced. if mitsubishi wants to continue, it needs to step away from the american one style fits all cosmetic bullshit, re invent the eclipse, and sell it in the gsx and gst models again.

Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. 

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

i do like the new imprezas, however after the release of the wrx sti in the hatchback.. i've fallen too in love with it to like the new sedan.

if i could own this:

i would NEVER own another vehicle.

that being said to further your point there, i do agree.. look at the new volkswagens too... whaaaaaahaappenned lol. automotive conformity to a commuters lifestyle. performance cars are going to be a rich man's sport/a thing of the past.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »

I hope the STI doesn't go downhill if there isn't any direct competition from the Evo.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »

I hope the STI doesn't go downhill if there isn't any direct competition from the Evo.
Thats probably the best reason to keep the Evo around.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »

The SuperGT GT-R was a Skyline in the same way a NASCAR Fusion is a Fusion

SuperGT GT500 cars are production-based cars. They aren't usually powered by the production counterpart's engine and isn't AWD. But everything else is production-based, hence why there was so much controversy when Honda returned with the non-production-based HSV-010 since it was never to go into production.

GT300 on the otherhand has a bit more freedom. Hence why there's a RWD Toyota Axio and mid-engined Lexus IS350.

Anyway...

It's impractical? Why look at an Evo for practicality? It's a high-end, stripped out, AWD version of the base Lancer. It's like saying you don't want to buy a Mustang because it can't tow. That's not what it's meant to do. You like the Impreza, but you don't like the Evo? That's what I don't get. Have you ever sat in the back of an STI? If you were above 5'10", you were eating your knees. There's nothing practical about an STI, especially in hatch form.

It's ugly? That's subjective. I love the Evo X. The Evo VII and VIII are both on my wishlist. The Evo 7 on the otherhand looks like crap and it just looked like a boy racer went crazy and decided to modify a base Lancer.

Overpriced? It's been in the same price range since the Evo 7. Even before that, it was only a few grand cheaper than what a base Evo GSR is worth now.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »

SuperGT GT500 cars are production-based cars. They aren't usually powered by the production counterpart's engine and isn't AWD. But everything else is production-based, hence why there was so much controversy when Honda returned with the non-production-based HSV-010 since it was never to go into production.

Same as if GM were to decide to put a pontiac firebird in nascar instead of the monte carlo. There would have to be a production counterpart. And absolutely 0% would have to be in common.

GT300 on the otherhand has a bit more freedom. Hence why there's a RWD Toyota Axio and mid-engined Lexus IS350.

Anyway...

I'm unformed on this and have no comment.

It's impractical? Why look at an Evo for practicality? It's a high-end, stripped out, AWD version of the base Lancer.

Its not stripped out. Its loaded with more goodies and NVH refinement than a base lancer.

It's like saying you don't want to buy a Mustang because it can't tow. That's not what it's meant to do.

Well, no its more like saying i want to buy a high performance 4 door, because i cant have a coupe in my life, but cant afford an m3 or C63.

You like the Impreza, but you don't like the Evo? That's what I don't get.

Simply put, the Impreza does a better job at transitioning from rally car to road car better than the Evo. The evo is quicker, I wont deny that, but the STi is a car that doesnt have as much awful base model plastics as the evo.

Have you ever sat in the back of an STI? If you were above 5'10", you were eating your knees.

Ditto for the Evo, and every car in that size segment. Nothing surprising there.

There's nothing practical about an STI, especially in hatch form.

Are you on dope? Seriously, hatchbacks are the dictionary meaning of practicality. Please tell me the situation where you found an STi hatch impractical.

It's ugly? That's subjective. I love the Evo X. The Evo VII and VIII are both on my wishlist. The Evo 7 on the otherhand looks like crap and it just looked like a boy racer went crazy and decided to modify a base Lancer.

Evo X is even more cloaked by its base version look-alikes now than ever. I am not a fan of the new STi styling.

Overpriced? It's been in the same price range since the Evo 7. Even before that, it was only a few grand cheaper than what a base Evo GSR is worth now.

I'm not familiar with pricing.

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »

I'm not goign to lie, i was a negative nancy when they brought out the sti hatch.. but it grew so much on me that i do not like the new sedan. lol.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

Same as if GM were to decide to put a pontiac firebird in nascar instead of the monte carlo. There would have to be a production counterpart. And absolutely 0% would have to be in common.

Why are you going after NASCAR?

I'm unformed on this and have no comment.

Its not stripped out. Its loaded with more goodies and NVH refinement than a base lancer.

Ok, saying it's stripped out was a bit much. I agree. But my point is that these cars aren't meant for practicality. The Evo isn't built to be practical. It's built to be a 4 door sports compact.

Same goes for the STI Hatch. Just because the rear seats go down to give more cargo room, does necessarily mean that it's practical.

The seats do NOT lay flat. That takes away cargo room that you need and it also means anything you set on them will slide backwards if not secured. I have seen this happen with a birthday cake and a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. I don't get what they did with the STI Hatch to make it different than the regular hatch, because in the regular hatch, the seats lie perfectly flat.

Well, no its more like saying i want to buy a high performance 4 door, because i cant have a coupe in my life, but cant afford an m3 or C63.

There are other 4 doors on the market that are more practical. Not to sound biased, but there's always the Cobalt SS Turbo Sedan. Basically the same performance as an Evo/STI for a quarter of the price and you're not eating your knees while sitting in the rear seats. The trunks are deceptively huge, also.

Evo X is even more cloaked by its base version look-alikes now than ever. I am not a fan of the new STi styling.

Both the STI and Evo X look like their base model counterparts other than the obvious larger wing and wider stance. The RalliArt Lancer is about as close as you can get to the Evo in the looks department.

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

I'm not goign to lie, i was a negative nancy when they brought out the sti hatch.. but it grew so much on me that i do not like the new sedan. lol.

I love the STi Hatch. The sedan just looks so fugly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: