theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo  (Read 10185 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »

Source: AutoBlog
According to Gayu Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future.

I hope Mitsubishi falls into the same blackhole that Mercury and Pontiac fell into. That way, we will never see them EVER again. Actually, they are dead to me now. How in the fuck are you going to kill the one car that gets you global recognition? The Eclipse couldn't of done it, it's only sold here in the US. How in the hell are you going to kill the one exciting car built by you guys? Hopefully you realize how bad of a decision it was once you start losing sales to Ford, Subaru, and Audi with their top sport compacts.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »

Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand

I wouldn't stay loyal to the brand. I hope they fall on it's face.

How are they going to expect there consumers to stay loyal if there isn't anything else to buy?

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »

Well, it's not like it was a huge seller (I don't think). I could count on my hands the number of Evo's of any year model that I've ever seen in person on the road.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

Well, it's not like it was a huge seller (I don't think). I could count on my hands the number of Evo's of any year model that I've ever seen in person on the road.

What other Mitsubishi do you see on the road? lol
Might as well axe them all.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »

They're currently the manufacturer's biggest seller, even though that number isn't such a big number. Why do they have to kill their most iconic car? Why not just limit it to a certain number a year to cut down on costs to use that money for development of EVs and hybrids?

Subaru is doing JUST fine with building the STI along with the diesel boxer models. They developed that engine while still building the STI, and now it's receiving a LOT of good praise because of its reliability, great mileage, and excellent power/torque.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »

Sorry, the last real Evolution was sold in 1997.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

Did someone in the boardroom say "Lets see how we do when we take away the only reason people come to our dealerships"? In my area there are exactly two Mitsubishis less than 5 years old. One is a Rader that I assume was bought as a drunken mistake, the other is a Lancer Rallisport. The headline of this thread should just be R.I.P. Mitsubishi.
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »

See here is what I'm seeing that Mitsubishi must not be seeing. Honda, after dropping the prelude, the NSX and the S2000 has a very large gap in the performance car segment. Toyota, after dropping the celica, the MR2 and the Supra has a very large gap in it's performance car gap.

Mitsubishi, needs to bring back this.

Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:38:02 AM »

i heard the general trend in japan is the youth and the young generation has been loosing interests in cars, and market for performance cars is declining

Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »

That may be true, but they will find in the US isn't Japan, and Americans know that they can go to Toyota and Honda for souless traveling appliances that will likely be less of a headache to own without worrying when the dealerships will fold and go under.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »

Mitsubishi, needs to bring back this.

It would be nice to see the return of the Starion. Would be a nice competitor for the Genesis Coupe and upcoming FT-S.

Hell, it would be even more nice to see Mitsubishi throw money at a GT-R competitor in the way of a return of the 3000GT VR4.

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »

i heard the general trend in japan is the youth and the young generation has been loosing interests in cars, and market for performance cars is declining

yeah because...

you can blame the descent of interest in real things to the mass media introduction to this kind of bullshit.  Look at the cartoons over there, some adult males marry computer programs that replicate their favourite animé character.

video games ^
real shit \/   

say good bye to the real world.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »

It would be nice to see the return of the Starion. Would be a nice competitor for the Genesis Coupe and upcoming FT-S.

Hell, it would be even more nice to see Mitsubishi throw money at a GT-R competitor in the way of a return of the 3000GT VR4.

GT-R competitor?

That would flop instantly. Mitsu doesnt have the rep to pull that off. If they returned the starion with a good 4 cyl engine (maybe borrowed for the evo?), or a nice v6 (new engine from the ground up), with LOW cost (~$25k) and honest, good handling they would have a hit. It's not impossible to do either.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »

GT-R competitor?

That would flop instantly.

I don't think it would. The 3S community would buy them right up. Make it cheaper than the GT-R by at least a few grand, give it a light RWD platform, give it the Evo's AWD system, and a nice 500+hp twin turbo V6.

Anyway, join the cause...
http://www.causes.com/causes/586696-mitsubishi-keep-the-evo-alive

You guys alone can bring it up to 1,000 members.

Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

I don't know that a GT-R competitor would sell for them either, at least not here. The old 3000GT was more complex than the Supra and RX-7, and they don't currently have a motor that would be able to come close to what the GT-R has, and still be able to be driven by the average joe. I don't think they have the money to put one together at this moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: