theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:24:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NSX Back On?  (Read 1655 times)
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »

From Autoblog:

Heads up, Hondaphiles – it looks like the NSX has been dug out of storage and plopped back on the table as a candidate for production. Company president Takashi Ito has announced that he's jump-starting development on the supercar. As you may recall, the beast was unceremoniously put to bed after the global economy gutted itself back in 2008. At the time, the project sailed under the HSV-010 moniker, and Honda even went so far as to campaign a version of the machine in the Japanese Super GT series.

Since then, the supercar segment has all but exploded with new metal. Mercedes-Benz jumped into the action with its SLS AMG, Lexus came to the party with the high-tech LFA and old-timers like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R have been enjoying their own slice of supercar territory. We're all for the notion of a resurrected Honda fighter, but we're still going to treat this one with a healthy dose of skepticism.

We've been burnt before.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/04/report-honda-confirms-nsx-development-has-restarted/
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

Kind of late, Honda.

I'm not sure how they're going to compete with cars like the GTR. Maybe they will finally have a V8 in a production car.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »

I like it.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »

Kind of late, Honda.

I'm not sure how they're going to compete with cars like the GTR. Maybe they will finally have a V8 in a production car.

Kind of late? The LF-A and SLS came out last year and the 2012 GT-R was just released with over 500hp.

They're either going to take the current 3.4L Formula Nippon V8 out of the HSV-010 and make it streetable, or they're going to develop an engine based on the Formula Nippon V8. I don't see them using a V6 again, especially in a front-engined car.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »

Kind of late? The LF-A and SLS came out last year and the 2012 GT-R was just released with over 500hp.

When do you think this NSX will come out? This year? Next year? Might not even come out, who knows.
I've lost my faith in Honda when they stopped making the S2000.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »

When do you think this NSX will come out? This year? Next year? Might not even come out, who knows.
I've lost my faith in Honda when they stopped making the S2000.

I give it a year. They already have most of the design and development work done.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »

FWIW, Honda execs--specifically Ito-san, the CEO--said this is NOT to be called an NSX or an NSX successor.

It's an all together different project. Probably Accord based. Probably a hybrid.

My guess is that it'll be like the RL, but lighter and smaller and with a lot more bawls.

The other thing floating through the rumor mill is that they're going to take the Accord's chassis and turn it backwards to make a new MR car. It would work because despite the Accord being a best selling family sedan, it still does utilize double wishbones at all four corners, and it's engine is still behind the front axles. Turning it around and tweaking it would work great, and since they have ten trillion chassis' being made in Ohio, it would make financial sense as well.

We'll see, I reckon. I'm not too hopeful on anything happening soon, to be honest. Honda tends to drag it's feet on everything and keep stuff very hush hush until the very end, so I expect this to be a similar situation.

Anyhow...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

To be honest, I'd rather see a S2000 replacement than an NSX replacement. Something that cost's $60k+ doesn't appeal to me with a Honda/Acura badge. Also, for gods sake, build something with a DECENT motor that isn't a hybrid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: