theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:21:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyundai shows off Tiburon successor, the Veloster  (Read 7719 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »

Source: AutoBlog
After the usual tease of spy shots and teasers, the sheet has finally been pulled back on the 2012 Hyundai Veloster. Not only does the Veloster take aim at wannabe efficient sports cars like the Honda CR-Z, it reinvents the way we look at the shape of coupes and hatchbacks, employing a unique three-door design that's surprisingly better in execution than we expected.

Hyundai is using its 2012 Veloster to unveil a slate of new technologies, including a brand new engine and transmission, as well as the automaker's first foray into the safety and convenience telematics realm with Blue Link. Hyundai is promising class-leading fuel efficiency with a truly sporty driving experience all wrapped in a wholly unique package, but does the Veloster meet the criteria?

Perhaps the biggest question surrounding the Veloster is its unique three-door arrangement. This isn't the first time we've seen extra doors on sport coupes, but Hyundai has chosen to forego the use of rear-hinged suicide doors for an honest-to-goodness full-size door on the passenger side of the Veloster. To maintain the car's coupe-like style, the rear door handle has been integrated into the C-pillar, and you really have to see it in person to understand that it's not nearly as awkward as you might think.

Hyundai promises that the Veloster will be agile and fun to drive, employing things like a lightweight V-torsion beam in the rear suspension setup, a 23-millimeter stabilizer bar to control body roll and sport-tuned electric power steering. A quick-ratio steering system has also been fitted, and the Veloster rides on standard 17-inch wheels wrapped in 215/45-series all-season tires. Two sets of 18-inch alloy wheels are available, housed in 215/40-series performance rubber.

The Veloster is powered by Hyundai's all-new 1.6-liter Gamma inline-four which produces 138 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and 123 pound-feet of torque at 4,850 rpm. No, it isn't a particularly potent engines, but it should be plenty to move the 2,584-pound Veloster along at a decent clip. Through the use of direct injection, Hyundai is able to make this mill surprisingly efficient, and while official EPA numbers haven't been released just yet, Hyundai claims that the Veloster will net around 40 miles per gallon on the highway, easily besting the Honda CR-Z hybrid and even smaller B-segment offerings like the Mazda2 or Honda Fit. The standard transmission is a six-speed manual, though an all-new six-speed dual-cluch transmission is available.

Inside, Hyundai provides a host of newfangled technology, including a standard multi-function seven-inch touch-screen display with Pandora internet radio, Gracenote music display, video playback, video game console connectivity (yes, you read correctly – video game console connectivity) and, of course, Bluetooth. How's that for trying to capture the youth market? Of course, Hyundai's usual host of safety equipment is still on deck, with the new Blue Link telematics system that encompasses things like automatic crash notification, enhanced roadside assistance, remote door and vehicle start, and convenience features like voice text messaging, vehicle diagnostics information and a range of navigation features.

Pricing has yet to be announced for the 2012 Veloster, but in keeping with Hyundai's quest for affordability, we'd assume that the starting price for the new sports coupe will be found somewhere in the sub-$20,000 range.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »

no thanks.
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »

no thanks.

Why oh why did they have to hatch back it?

I understand its new role underneath the genesis..... but eww....just, ewww.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »

The first thought when I saw the front, it's ok. Turn the car around, oh my god my eyes.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »

Why oh why did they have to hatch back it?

I understand its new role underneath the genesis..... but eww....just, ewww.

Because they're going after the Scirocco. They're competing in that specific coupe market because Hyundai seems to think that this segment will grow in the very near future. If Honda pumps out more power from the CRZ, then it'd be a good competitor. I would love to see more of these coupes coming from other manufacturers.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »

its not bad, the rear is acquired taste however

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

my render from years ago makes it tolerable. 

don't know how they made it even uglier than the proto.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »

Not very good looking, if its a 3 door, why not just give it 4? The rear is ugly as noted before.
irish evo6's
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »

Because they're going after the Scirocco. They're competing in that specific coupe market because Hyundai seems to think that this segment will grow in the very near future. If Honda pumps out more power from the CRZ, then it'd be a good competitor. I would love to see more of these coupes coming from other manufacturers.
i wanna see the price this thing is going to be sold at. For me it would want to be a concideral amount less than the vw for me to even concider it. That or i would just buy a 2010 coupe even though i dont like the design of the front very much.

"when the world says 'give up', hope whispers 'try one more time'"
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »

WAYYY too much going on everywhere you look. And that rear? Uglier than a bucket full of assholes.

Fox
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »

Aesthetically, I like it. You can also get a 6-speed manual.
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »

Uglier than a bucket full of assholes.

Only at RBB's ranch 
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »

Only at RBB's ranch 

Bored much?

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

Bored much?

nope, just impatient. The guy i'm getting a killer deal on an AR15 upper is taking advantage of my niceness and avoiding me... WHILE I'M EXCITED AND IMPATIENT!

i'm surprised i've made it this long, this past few days....
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »

It looks like 3 different ricer body kits giving birth to one another.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: