theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite roads  (Read 6177 times)
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »

Not my pictures, but this guys thread shows what I would have taken had my Camera not self destructed. I did the drive yesterday, was wishing I was in an Impreza or Evo. The drive isn't the best part though, its the beaches once you get there. Amazing. I went up Radar hill where those plaques are as well, there's a crashed Plane from WWII up there, kinda cool.

http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/forum/showthread.php?5778-Road-trip-on-Highway-4-from-Tofino-to-Nanaimo-a-photo-essay

this pic says all. 18% grade, windy/twisty.

and where it takes ya, he left out some good parts, Cathedral grove being one which is basically a 2 lane through old growth forest, massive trees along side of the highway.

(these are my photo's)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:43:09 AM by Syncros » Logged
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »

Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park (or Waterton for you canadians). Just over 50 miles of narrow 2 lane ridge hugging dont-swerve-or-you'll-die highway that provides access to the interior of the park, as well as providing the only passage through to the other side (saving a 5 hour drive around the park). It is only open a few months out of the year, as the road is covered by up to 100' (yes, one-hundred FEET) of snow in portions of the winter that must be cleared by excavators in mid June to allow access. Before its opening ~100 years ago, the only way into the interior of the park was a long strenuous hike over brutal terrain.

These were all taken by me. Proof:    

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:35:32 PM by Fuel Fire Desire » Logged

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »

Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park (or Waterton for you canadians).

Beautiful drive. My boy was named after the pass.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

Beautiful drive. My boy was named after the pass.

The last picture was taken above it (the pass's "summit").

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Sweet pics!  butt rock
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »

I guess my favorite road is one that is practically in my back yard. Deals Gap, also known as the Tail of the Dragon. 318 turns in an 11 mile stretch of road that winds through the southern part of the Appalachian mountains.

More pics and info...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I think he cooked it a little to hot coming into this one...

The Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherohala Skyway are also nice drives.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:13:34 PM by Rather B.Blown » Logged

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

Deals Gap is world famous! Id love to get down there one day.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »

Someday, I want to make time to check out the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Skyline Drive in the Appalachian Mountains.  Both are supposed to be a wonderful experience .  .  .

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »

Deals Gap is world famous! Id love to get down there one day.

Since the internet has spread the word, its not nearly as fun as it used to be back in the day. There is just too much heat on it now (especially the Tennessee side) it seems like every few corners there is a state Trooper sitting there running radar. I come through there in the Shelby and want to turn the wick up on it, but there is always a buzzkill waiting. Its turned into more of a long, slow, cruise for middle aged well to do Harley riders with loud pipes that are living out their youthful fantasies, and their fat assed housewives that think they are still sexy. You have to know the flow of traffic and plan it when things are at a lull. Middle of the week is good, but you also have to be on the lookout for fallen trees in the winter that have been weighed down repeatedly by ice and snow that the valleys don't really get.

Someday, I want to make time to check out the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Skyline Drive in the Appalachian Mountains.  Both are supposed to be a wonderful experience .  .  .

Heck Todd, its not that far from you. Come on up. The parkway is great, and the Skyway is beautiful in the fall especially. Be careful in the winter months though, it can be treacherous or closed even when things down in the valley seem normal.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:40:46 PM by Rather B.Blown » Logged

Fox
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »

Good thread.

My most memorable drive was Yash Island, in Yamaguchi:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212028309466152092608.000498f1ca5bd50665a33

The majority of the road-way was eerily empty, to bad my rental was a Nissan Micra - but I still enjoyed the drive.

This was the final destination: palm trees, clear beach, sunny day.
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »

My favorite would have to be the 12 miles of highway east of Austin, NV. 75% of the time the road is empty, and there isn't a straight to be seen until you get past Austin.
Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »

In Pennsylvania, US Route 30 runs from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.  Over the years, I've traveled most of it, and especially love the drive through the mountains in the center part of the state.  Here, the road becomes steep, winding, and narrow, which explains why "Trucks Avoid US Route 30" signs are posted throughout central PA. 

I worked at Bedford Ford Lincoln Mercury, which is on Route 30 just outside of Bedford, PA .  .  .

Some 17 miles further to the west sat a somewhat famous landmark - the SS Grand View Hotel.  I say "sat" because it burned to the ground in 2001 after being abandoned for many years prior.  This landmark was famous for both what it was, and where it was. 

Grand View Point is located on top of Mt. Ararat, 2,464 feet high in the Allegheny Mountains.  By the 1920s, this point had become a popular stop along the Lincoln Highway for the incredible view of "3 states and 7 counties."

In the mid-1920s, Herbert Paulson built the first permanent building at Grand View Point. 

Directly across the road from that building, built right up against the mountain, Paulson also built a gas station.

Paulson originally wanted his building to look like a castle.  However, he also loved the ocean.  On cloudy days, the view reminded him of an ocean scene.  So, in the mid-'30s, he rebuilt his building to resemble a giant ship, and the SS Grand View Hotel was born.

Keep in mind, this giant "Ship Hotel" sat on the side of the mountain 2400 feet in the air, as this photo shows. 

A lot of steel and concrete were utilized to ensure that it didn't slide down the mountainside during a storm.

Paulson died in 1973, and his family sold the deteriorating ship in the late '70s.  The new owners, Jack and Mary Loya, tried to restart the buisness and did a major renovation, transforming the SS Grand View ship into "Noah's Ark," (remember, the ship sat on Mt. Ararat, so the name fit).  That worked for a few years, but closed in 1987.  Without any activity, the building began to take a turn for the worse.

In the early '90s, preservationists from the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor wanted to buy the property and raise funds to do a complete restoration of the Ship Hotel.  The official appraised value of the property was $40,000.  The Loyas, thinking they were sitting on a gold mine, wanted something like $900,000 for the property.  When no agreement could be reached, the project was scrapped, and the building sat untouched.

On the morning of October 26, 2001, the Ship Hotel burned to the ground.  The Loyas wanted $900,000 for the property, could have had a guaranteed $40,000, but they ended up with a big, fat ZERO for it because it was uninsured.  Yeah, Karma has a funny way of catching up with you in the end .  .  .

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »

I live about 1/2 mile from one of my favorite roads.

I live a long way away from this favorite road I drove on in Jerome, AZ

Turns are great, but then again, theres nothing like highway 40 in upper texas. Mile after mile of progress. . .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:38:29 PM by NOM NOM NOM » Logged

Jeepcom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »

Not exactly my favorite, but one of them.
Takes me to my favorite fishing spot.

Couple 3 miles like this.

Now, to my hole (fishing )
Morning

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »

Morning

That's a beautiful picture !  I love the sun reflection in the water .  .  .

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: