theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferrari unveils 458 Challenge spec race car  (Read 4738 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »

Source: AutoBlog
Everyone loves a special-edition, track-focused Ferrari and the time has come for the 458 to get a taste of the Maranello magic. At this week's 2010 Bologna Motor Show, Ferrari has devoted its stand to serve as storyboard showcasing the automaker's racing heritage. The newest piece of that history takes the form of the Ferrari 458 Challenge, which is finally making its world debut.

The 458 Challenge is the fifth model to get placed into a single-series racing program. The standard 458 Italia is already such a potent beast that the Challenge keeps the changes away from the engine bay leaving it with the same 570 horsepower as the standard 458 Italia. That said, the gear ratios and calibration of the dual-clutch transmission have been adjusted so that the Challenge generates more torque at lower revs.

Stiffer springs and a lower ride height help keep the body planted around the large Pirelli tires. That rubber hugs 19-inch forged alloys with a central locking nut. The brakes are upgraded to the newest setup that Brembo offers, and the system is paired with the ABS that debuted on the wild-child Ferrari 599XX.

Both the suspension and braking get a helping hand from something that has been reduced: weight. Ferrari has focused on reducing the thickness of the body panels, as well as introducing materials such as carbon fiber and Lexan.

All of the upgrades found on the Ferrari 458 Challenge result in a potent, track-ready machine that is faster than the 458 Italia it's based on. The 458 Challenge hit Ferrari's home Fiorano race track for numerous test sessions, and during the course of development, it was able to post lap times two seconds faster than the Italia. During testing, the 458 Challenge also pulled lateral grip numbers in the neighborhood of 1.6 g's. Giggity.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

That is a sharp looking race car. Why oh why cant these be more popular here...

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »

I really like the looks of the 458, and this is a really cool version of it. Are there any series that the 458 is currently competing in? I am going to assume Le Mans. And if so, will the 458 Challenge replace the "normal" 458s currently running it those series?

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »

are them two buttons to arm the nitro boost? you'd think they'd up a cap ontop'a em so your thumbs don't assdently press them there buttons when you need nitro boost the least
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »

I really like the looks of the 458, and this is a really cool version of it. Are there any series that the 458 is currently competing in? I am going to assume Le Mans. And if so, will the 458 Challenge replace the "normal" 458s currently running it those series?

No. Ferrari has yet to unveil a GTC version of the 458 to compete in ALMS/LMS. There might be one before next season comes around to replace the current F430 GTC.

And no, it won't be running in either of the series because it doesn't meet IMSA/NASA regulations. It'll only be competing in it's own one make spec series like the Mustang Challenge, Porsche Cup, Lotus Cup, and Viper Cup.

That is a sharp looking race car. Why oh why cant these be more popular here...

They are pretty popular here. There is a US version of the Ferrari Challenge here in The States.

are them two buttons to arm the nitro boost? you'd think they'd up a cap ontop'a em so your thumbs don't assdently press them there buttons when you need nitro boost the least

I don't think those are buttons. I think they're just rivets that hold the paddles on.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:50:26 PM by Elmo187 » Logged

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »

really sharp looking car.  those centre bolts are allen-rivets and the two outter yellow buttons are the horn.  i found the cockpit picture funny, if you look close enough at the hud/cluster in the middle of it, it looks like a bull with a line slashed through it 

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »

really sharp looking car.  those centre bolts are allen-rivets and the two outter yellow buttons are the horn.  i found the cockpit picture funny, if you look close enough at the hud/cluster in the middle of it, it looks like a bull with a line slashed through it 

The 458 Challenge, nor any previous Ferrari Challenge cars had their horns. Everything that is unnecessary on a track is removed. They don't use horns as you can see from the steering wheel, there's a button that says "flash". That's used to flash a driver in front of you that is slower than you or they're lapped cars.

Also, I want what you're smoking. All I see is an "N" for neutral.

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

The 458 Challenge, nor any previous Ferrari Challenge cars had their horns. Everything that is unnecessary on a track is removed. They don't use horns as you can see from the steering wheel, there's a button that says "flash". That's used to flash a driver in front of you that is slower than you or they're lapped cars.

Also, I want what you're smoking. All I see is an "N" for neutral.

rofl i know... but look at the black behind the white N. think of the centre diagonal line on the N as the slash.   

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »

rofl i know... but look at the black behind the white N. think of the centre diagonal line on the N as the slash.   

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »

Thank you. Finally someone else doesn't see what he's seeing lol.

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »

actually now i kinda do

look at it The N like this the bottom right of the N is the mouth and the top parts of the N are within that box, the blurred text also doesnt cover the top completely, making what looks like an extra area, making it look like horns.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:11:09 PM by MP3 » Logged

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »

photoshop to the motherfucking rescue.

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »

Dude, all I was doing was trying to help you out.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 08:41:33 PM »

photoshop to the motherfucking rescue.

I saw it the other day, then the site took a shit. By the time it came back up I had forgotten I was going to post. 

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »

i know m.r chong.. i know..

yeah? i figured ppl would catch on haha... it reminds me of the old chicago bulls symbol haha

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: