theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:30:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official World Rally Championship Thread  (Read 1281 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »

Ford shows off brand new Fiesta RS WRC for 2011 competition
Source: AutoBlog
The FIA World Rally Championship is shaping up to be particularly interesting in 2011, and the new-for-2011 Ford Fiesta RS is a big reason why. The Blue Oval's latest dirt-spitting racer will contest its first race at Rally Sweden in mid-February, but the Fiesta S2000-based rally car made its debut this morning at the Paris Motor Show.

In typical WRC fashion, the blue and gray Fiesta RS is all gaping intakes, massive flares and skyscraping wings, and needless to say, it looks The Business. Motivated by an EcoBoost-branded 1.6-liter turbocharged four of undisclosed output, the four-wheel-drive RS will get a shakedown run on Spain's gravel roads next week, though Ford says it's already conducted about 3,000 kilometers worth of testing with various engines.

The new car, which supplants the Blue Oval's prior Focus-based WRC car, will be driven by Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen, along with Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

Mini enters the 2011 WRC season with Countryman WRC
Source: AutoBlog
When Mini first announced it was taking the Countryman to tango with the rest of the brawlers in the World Rally Championship, we had our doubts about the crossover's ability to keep the pace. But judging by the look of the Prodrive-prepped machine, the Countryman WRC should have no problem locking horns with the big boys on the world stage. Mini gave the rally racer an official unveil at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, but the company is keeping the drivetrain details to itself for now.

Not too long ago, the internets enjoyed a rash of videos showing a Countryman WRC prototype busting through the hills of Portugal, so we have some notion of the car's capabilities off tarmac. Will Prodrive's expertise be enough to help Mini keep its head above water in the WRC? Something tells us that all depends on who they stick in the cockpit.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »

The Fiesta looks like a really slick piece of kit. The Countryman is much more awkward.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »

The Countryman is much more awkward.

That's probably because it's a full-on CUV being turned into a rally car.

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »

That's probably because it's a full-on CUV being turned into a rally car.
That, and the Countryman is pretty awkward up front and in the C/D pillar area to begin with. That light bar on the hood doesn't help a bit. Why did they put that on and Ford didn't add one?

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »

That light bar on the hood doesn't help a bit. Why did they put that on and Ford didn't add one?

That lightbar is there for night rallying. It's detachable. The Fiesta will have one also during night rallying. They just put it on the Mini for shits and giggles I guess.

Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Ah. I would think you'd try and present the best face of your car. But Mini has built a reputation on quirks and doing whatever they want.

Ah well still like the Fiesta better.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: