theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Built Ford Tough Roundup".. test drive the new 2011 F-150.  (Read 5412 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »

here we go again, elmo going to his philosophy^^ haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhglEDSNVA

Uh I asked a question...

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »

To assuage fears Ford is planning a demonstration for the Ecoboost F150. First, it goes to Oregon to pull lumber up steep mountain roads, next stop, Homestead, where it will tow a pair of NASCAR prepped Fusions around the track at full throttle for 24 hours, and last but not least, it will then run the Baja 1,000. All this comes after the randomly selected motor wen't through 150,000 miles worth of dyno duty. Ford wouldn't be publicizing this if they were worried they'd fail.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/ford-to-campaign-f-150-ecoboost-in-baja-1000/
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »

Why would it be less reliable than the V8?

Nononono I mean that as the vehicle gets older you know I would imagine it would be more costly to replace parts because the engine is so technical with the turbos and all the hardware needed to get this complicated engine to run correctly... Its like turbo cars as they get older the more they have to be taken care of. This is just my opinion and Im not saying that I am right, I was just wondering how this engine will be in in 15-20 yrs like trucks I see out here that have been on the roads for 15-20+ years with their original engines... If I still dont make any sense I will try to explain my logic again... Grin

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »

Nononono I mean that as the vehicle gets older you know I would imagine it would be more costly to replace parts because the engine is so technical with the turbos and all the hardware needed to get this complicated engine to run correctly... Its like turbo cars as they get older the more they have to be taken care of. This is just my opinion and Im not saying that I am right, I was just wondering how this engine will be in in 15-20 yrs like trucks I see out here that have been on the roads for 15-20+ years with their original engines... If I still dont make any sense I will try to explain my logic again... Grin

Oh, I get ya. Don't worry.

Ford knows how to build solid engines. They've been doing it for years and I don't think they'll be skipping on their most revolutionary. If it lasts through all the tests it's going to go through, I'm pretty sure it'll last 15-20+ years.

-Towing thousands of pounds up steep mountain roads
-Towing 6,800lbs around Homestead Motor Speedway at full-bore
-1,000 miles of pure, unadulterated dirt hell

Before it even does ANY that, it'll already have 150,000 miles on the engine already. So I'd say Ford is really confident this engine is going to last a LONG time.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »

What we will see, from their testing, is that it is the best pickup ever.....the reality is that many will buy it, and then be disappointed....
Turbos only produce maximum volumetric efficiency under load. So they will show the pickup under acceleration, tires spinning and rally doing fabulous things off road....

unfortunately most people who buy a pickup are not looking for a desert racer....what about the buyer who wants to use it for cutting wood for home heat? There is not going to be a constant load on it crawling over a rock in the road. what happens when volumetric efficiency falls off, and the pickup has no power, rolling down into a small mountain stream bed? .....Maybe it is best that perspective buyers also have a winch installed ...
if you think I am off base here, take a look back at the testing Fluxx posted about...these feats will all keep the engine under load....both pulling weigh, and fighting the sand drag.....they do not want the truck tested in negative boost for a reason

for a light pickup, to drive to work, and maybe haul the occasional load down the highway, I am seeing good things. For a work truck.....let's just say I am not ready to trade in my super duty
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:17:07 PM by heretic » Logged

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

Lee, the test has nothing to do with showing off what the truck is capable of. It's to show how reliable this engine is.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »

Lee, the test has nothing to do with showing off what the truck is capable of. It's to show how reliable this engine is.

it is a marketing strategy....nothing more

and if you think they are telling you their whole strategy right now, you may be naive enough to believe every single thing they say

OF COURSE, they will try to show off what it is capable of. They do not want it to look like a turd. That is just common sense.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »

it is a marketing strategy....nothing more

and if you think they are telling you their whole strategy right now, you may be naive enough to believe every single thing they say

OF COURSE, they will try to show off what it is capable of. They do not want it to look like a turd. That is just common sense.

Lee, the truck isn't even a full production truck. It's a race truck based on the Raptor. The only thing similar to the actual production model is the engine itself and the chassis. The Raptor doesn't come with the 3.5L EcoBoost.

So explain to me how this is showing off what this truck is capable of when the test truck won't ever be offered to the public. People already know what the Raptor is capable of, it's been on sale for 2 years. So no, it's not a marketing strategy. It's just to show how reliable this engine is.

It even says that the engine will be strapped to an engine dyno and run for 150,000 miles BEFORE putting it into the truck. So tell me how it's showing what this truck is capable of if it's not going to be powered by it for 150,000 of those miles.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 01:17:10 AM »

So, we got a 6.7l F-250 at school today. It looks kind of ugly but I can't wait to hear it or play with it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »

Lee, the truck isn't even a full production truck. It's a race truck based on the Raptor. The only thing similar to the actual production model is the engine itself and the chassis. The Raptor doesn't come with the 3.5L EcoBoost.

So explain to me how this is showing off what this truck is capable of when the test truck won't ever be offered to the public. People already know what the Raptor is capable of, it's been on sale for 2 years. So no, it's not a marketing strategy. It's just to show how reliable this engine is.

It even says that the engine will be strapped to an engine dyno and run for 150,000 miles BEFORE putting it into the truck. So tell me how it's showing what this truck is capable of if it's not going to be powered by it for 150,000 of those miles.

END of BS here. common sense MUST prevail...if it is not going to be offered to the public, IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A PUBLICITY STUNT. if they were not trying to show off the engine, this project would never be funded. if this was nothing more then a mileage test, why are all the tests to be publicized, and designed to have the engine under load? IT IS ADVERTISING. They have to show the engine in the best light possible. If their whole point is that it can last 150K, they LOSE potential customers. Most people expect twice that from a new vehicle....

Look, I know you love and adore all things turbo. We have had the discussion that your favorite subject in tech school was turbos....that is no reason to get defensive...And that is really what has happened here...
I made a statement that the truck would not be ideal for all uses or drivers. You wanted to defend it, but you cannot intelligently dispute the validity of my reasoning. Physics give my point that validity, and although you may not want to admit it, you do know it. That is why you did not try to contradict what I said directly ...Instead you had to try to make my post somehow less informed, and therefore less credible...

That will not change the fact that the engine will not be an ideal engine for off road pickups. no matter how much you love turbos, they do have weaknesses. In this case, a loss of volumetric efficiency when the engine is not under load. This means that under many off road conditions they will not have the torque, on demand, that a V8 or even a naturally aspirated inline 6 does does. There is simply no way for the average guy to take a gas powered turbo pickup into the woods to get firewood, or drop off quad runners, and keep the turbos from dropping into negative boost...That is why I use a belt driven supercharger on my own pickup

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Ok, Lee, go read what I and Fluxx said...

The engine, by itself, will be put through 150,000 miles on an engine dyno BEFORE it is even put into the test truck. THEN it will be put into the test truck, driven for 24hrs around Homestead Motor Speedway, a 1.5 mile tri-oval track with 2, 3,400lb NASCAR prepped Ford Fusions. 1.5 miles + 24hrs = ?

Last but definitely NOT least, it will be put through the Baja 1000. A 1,000 mile race that punishes both vehicle and driver/rider. The thing is, it might be a 1,000 mile race, but the vehicles are put through the equivalent of at least 10-20,000 miles. Soot pits are a race vehicle's worst enemy in that race.

Yes, I agree with you to some extent. BUT it'd only be a publicity stunt if this whole thing was put into the truck's ad campaign and/or televised (the Baja 1000 isn't televised to my knowledge), which as of now, hasn't been rumored or even confirmed by Ford.

Who cares if it's a publicity stunt anyway? It still shows how strong this engine is going to be and how Ford is so confident that this engine will last.

Also, this whole argument about turbos...

Um I think you're harking back to the days you and Ty went at it and found out he knew nothing about turbos and hadn't ever built a turbo setup. We never argued about turbos and how it was my favorite subject in tech school. My favorite subjects in tech school was actually roots-type, throttle bodies/intake manifolds, and fuel injection.

Fox
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

After a 150,000 mile dyno run, hauling logs, wide throttle towing on a high speed race track - The Ecoboost F-150 finished the grueling Baja 1000 race in 38 hours. One hard cookie.
Google news..

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »

Signed up for this but I never went to it. I was too tired and lazy lol.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: