theautolounge.net
January 18, 2018, 09:43:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Official General Motors Thread  (Read 18469 times)
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »

You might as well say that about every manufacturer, then. It's called a design language. The only cars that it does not effect are the halo cars (Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Viper).

This is what I didnt like about the "revolution."

Same headlights, hood, and grill FTL. Corporate identity is one thing, part sharing for the sake of part sharing to the point everything looks the same sucks. Even the previous generation melded way too many things. The camaro was like a 4 seat corvette, and the cavalier was like a FWD eco-camaro.Very very similar body lines all the way across the board, and very very similar interiors.

Whereas ford had the mustang on a stand alone design platform, the taurus/ sable by itself, and focus by itself. Each class of vehicle had its own personality.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »

You might as well say that about every manufacturer, then. It's called a design language.

Well then, their design language sucks. I often stop when dealerships are closed just to look around. The last couple of years when I stop at a Chevy dealer the entire lot is a sea of blandness. Other than the few Camaros lined up in front of the showroom and a Corvette or two inside, there is nothing on the lot that catches my attention and says "HEY! come take a closer look at me!!" Just about any other brand dealership I stop at there are cars and trucks that will actually interest me enough to walk out there and take a good look at them. VW, Hyundai, Ford, Dodge, Volvo, Nissan, even Honda. Just doesn't happen at a Chevy dealer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:45:16 PM by Rather B.Blown » Logged

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

Well then, their design language sucks. I often stop when dealerships are closed just to look around. The last couple of years when I stop at a Chevy dealer the entire lot is a sea of blandness. Other than the few Camaros lined up in front of the showroom and a Corvette or two inside, there is nothing on the lot that catches my attention and says "HEY! come take a closer look at me!!" Just about any other brand dealership I stop at there are cars and trucks that will actually interest me enough to walk out there and take a good look at them. VW, Hyundai, Ford, Dodge, Volvo, Nissan, even Honda. Just doesn't happen at a Chevy dealer.

I completely agree.

FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »

speaking of blande...  Grin jk

the g8 to return under the chevy badge, offered as a v8 only.

With rear drive and a punchy V-8 under the hood, the Pontiac G8 was the first real sport sedan for Pontiac in decades, and we mourned its demise when GM killed off the Excitement Division as part of its post-bankruptcy rationalization. But it appears the G8 will make a comeback -- only this time wearing Chevy badges. Three GM sources have confirmed to Motor Trend the Australian-built sedan will re-appear on the U.S. market as a Chevy in the coming year. And it won't be called Impala. "We have a good name for it," smiled one of the sources.
Bringing back the G8 (the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP is pictured) as a Chevy seemed such a no-brainer -- all the certification and engineering work required to transform the Holden Commodore into a Pontiac had already been paid for by the Old GM -- it's a surprise it's taken so long. Part of the reason for the delay, we understand, is that GM wanted to wait for a mid-cycle facelift on the Holden Commodore to give the car a fresher exterior look.
Cost is a problem. With the Australian dollar now on par with the greenback, shipping cars from Australia is now an expensive proposition. In addition, some minor re-certification work will also likely need to be performed to get the car back to U.S. spec. Because of this, and CAFE requirements, the Chevy sedan will only be available as a V-8, and in relatively limited numbers. Holden has also developed a U.S. market version of its mechanically identical Caprice long wheelbase sedan for police applications, but GM continues to insist that it will be for law enforcement duty only.

Click to view Gallery
"The Commodore Zeta 1 architecture offers us so much with rear-wheel drive performance," says one of our sources. "The synergy between motor compartment packaging of the Commodore and HSV products versus what we do here with Camaro and Corvette means the opportunities are endless."
GM's decision to bring back the Pontiac G8 as a Chevy is a good-news, bad-news story for its Australian subsidiary, Holden. After decades of ignoring the Australians' engineering efforts, it seems Detroit is about to embrace the Zeta rear drive architecture. But for cost reasons it is likely GM will move further development of the architecture for next-gen Zeta-based cars to Detroit, putting the future of its Australian engineering facility in doubt.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/1011_pontiac_g8_to_return_as_a_chevy/index.html#ixzz1A7qa9uYU

source: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/1011_pontiac_g8_to_return_as_a_chevy/photo_02.html

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »

I saw a Volt parked on the street the other day, it looks ok but it has some weird vibe to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »

http://sa-en.chevroletarabia.com/vehicles/view_all_vehicles/cars/lumina/index.html

... volt is bad.

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »

Are they serious about bringing the lumina here?

I caught a Lumina SS on the street as a tester for the G8. It has been around overseas for a long time, just not here.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/spied-corvette-powered-lumina-ss_67082.htm

Moth

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »

I <3 Lumina SS's! But I love the Caprice SS more...

88 Caprice- 305ci/700r4 combo, 75k miles

09 Challenger R/T- 5 speed auto, Stock for now
Kills: 98+ Camaro Z/28, 07 Mustang GT, Mazdaspeed3.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »

Chevy throws out a shocker in Chicago
Source: AutoBlog
The 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 was a performance monster, featuring an all-aluminum engine displacing 427 cubic inches that was originally intended for racing. Just 69 units were built, and they are highly coveted by collectors today. Perhaps it shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that Chevrolet chose to resurrect this classic moniker for what it is calling the fastest and most technologically advanced Camaro ever built.

At this point, specifications are still preliminary, but Chevrolet is estimating that its supercharged and intercooled 6.2-liter LSA V8 engine will put out around 550 horsepower and 550 pound-feet of torque. Those ponies will be sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual transmission using a dual-disc clutch that's necessary to properly harness all those horses. There's also a dual-mode exhaust system that alters the sound level and character in response to engine rpm.

Chevrolet tells us that its goal was to built "a Camaro intended to reach optimal lap times on top road-racing circuits and excellent driving dynamics on the street." To that end, the 2012 Camaro ZL1 will be fitted with a new electric power steering system and Magnetic Ride Control that will offer both Tour and Sport modes. Brembo brakes measuring 14.6-inch (370 mm) in the front (with six-piston calipers) and 14.4-inch (365 mm) at the rear (with four-piston calipers) bring it all back down from speed.

Naturally, there's an updated body kit to differentiate the ZL1 from lesser machines. Most notable are the redesigned fascia that features a front splitter, vertical fog lamps and air intakes designed for brake cooling. There's also a new aluminum hood with a raised, satin black-finish carbon fiber insert that uses a unique air extractor that is said to increase downforce by directing oncoming air over the car. There's also a spoiler at the rear of the car and new 20-inch aluminum wheels fitted with specially developed Goodyear Supercar F2 tires.

Chevrolet promises to have the Camaro ZL1 on dealer lots in the beginning of 2012, and it will be available in any color offered on the Camaro. We can hardly wait.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »

This pic of the rear reminds me of the "Fuck Yea" guy flipped horizontally for some reason, probably the eyes are a similar shape to the tail lights, and the angle of the rear arch.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »

This pic of the rear reminds me of the "Fuck Yea" guy flipped horizontally for some reason, probably the eyes are a similar shape to the tail lights, and the angle of the rear arch.

Really? One of the most anticipated cars of 2011 gets posted on this website and all you do is compare it to some 4chan picture?

C'mon guys. You wanted more automotive discussion, so do it. First the F1 thread, now this.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »

technically it is automotive discussion since i discussed the looks of the car. maybe i should just stick to saying simple to the point opinions and comments next time, for example "i hate camaros" or "its sexy". As for the 154 potential members we lost who got offended by my comparison, they're gone for good 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:59:57 PM by Imran » Logged
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Man in these pictures it looks good but in the real world it looks a little too bulky and a little like a hot wheels car to me. To me it has to many different styles  cues going on with it... Its like they added all the styling from all the Camaro generations and didnt focus on one particular theme, like Ford did. I really think GM could have done better on the looks of the Camaro but I think they wanted to just rush and get in on the Mustangs stake because of the retro theme that came out then and is still popular today...

Now enough flaming the Camaro looks...
I do like the 550hp/550tq that comes from teh 6.2L V8 but I perhaps they could have squeezed out 600hp, but im sure some customers will just go and get a smaller pulley and retune the computer more aggressively to meet that hp figure... I also like the improvements on the brakes, electric steering, and the magnetic ride control these are all great and on the right path to helping it hang better in the twisties... The just need to put this car on a serious diet, ditch the, leather seats and use cloth, also even perhaps remove the rear seats to loose a few extra pounds and probably take out the navi or entertainment system and just have a radio.. Too bad they have to use 20+ in rims on this car because anything less looks wierd, now if they could pull off a 17 or 18 in rims then that could help out the cars weight too...

Overall in a summary Im glad that I see a lot of these new Camaro's out on the road now and that GM is recovering but I kinda wish they had put a little more effort into the exterior looks, the front end is beautiful but then it just looks wierd after that but that is my opinion.. But even though I have been bashing the new Camaros looks this whole time the styling  is slowly slowly growing on me * I saw a new Silver SS at the light and it looked really sharp but it was next to a new GM Suv thing so maybe GM just had to get the rest of their line caught up on the looks and I then get used to their styling*, its like when the 2004 F150's came out I hated them because they looked so wierd compared to the older models and the other trucks on the market. Also another note I hope cars like this continue to sell and not be axed in favor for boring econo cars that our government believes that we should drive and not have any damn fun that  previous generations have gotten to enjoy.. Grin
Hows that for an automotive discussion Elmo?

Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »

As for the new Camaros, the only color that really does it for me is Imperial Blue, none of the others turn my head. Cool to see them bring back the ZL1 name, does that mean they are working on a Z/28 to go head to head with the Boss 302?
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »

Return of the El Camino?
http://jalopnik.com/5798792/gm-will-bring-back-the-el-camino-if-100000-people-comment-on-this-post

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: