theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: BMW 1M unveiled!  (Read 4900 times)
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »

Stolen from bimmerfile.

Yesterday we got a close look at the new 1M. Yes most of it was covered. However we managed to not only get a glimpse of the color and design but also quite a few more details. Here are a few:

*That is Valencia Metallic Orange (not Inka Orange). I am not a fan of metallic paint and especially metallic orange paint. Yet I have to say I love the look of this color both under the sun and at night.
*The engine is N54 based (we’ll have more on this very soon)
*The 1M will be manual transmission only – the costs were too high to engineer a DCT into such a limited run car
*Yes those are M3 Competition package wheels
*The front air intake is much like the M3’s but even more pronounced on this car (don’t ask how we know this)
*The side skirts are also much like the M3’s in shape (again don’t how we know this!)

*The side vents will be outrageous compared to what we’re used to. You can clearly see the outline (and a sneak pique of it) poking out from under the cover
*There is one subtle change that will be coming (worldwide) to what you see i the revealed area. I can’t tell you what it is but if you think hard I’m sure the “lights” will go on and you’ll figure it out.

*The rear valance will have vents above the exhaust that protrude out and are angled slightly inward.
*There’s an oil-cooler in-front of the front left wheel
*The rear-view mirrors will look very familiar to E9X M3 owners.
*As many of you know Pyrat is the internal code-name. What you may not know is why this came about. The reason is that the team that worked on the 1M loved the name of a certain premium Rum and thought it was perfect for a car considered a rebel.

The car has presence. Undeniable presence that so many people reacted to when they first saw even a glimpse of it. The color, the fender flares and the large wheels combined with the compact nature of the 1 Series coupe give it a look that is flat out menacing. So far it’s lived up to all the hype. Now we just have to drive it.

We will have much more information (confirmed info you won’t get anywhere else) as soon as we can get some sleep. Look for it soon.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:40:25 AM »

I hate the 1 series but this looks kind of good so far.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »

I hate the 1 series but this looks kind of good so far.

Stock for stock the 128/135 is terrible in comparison to the 328/335 counterpart.

The price point is way off and it's just not as useable. Now, BMW putting a proper 6 in the 1M makes me think of this more like an E36 M3 (still the most god awful M car ever built though...)

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:10:07 AM »

Stock for stock the 128/135 is terrible in comparison to the 328/335 counterpart.

The price point is way off and it's just not as useable. Now, BMW putting a proper 6 in the 1M makes me think of this more like an E36 M3 (still the most god awful M car ever built though...)

Are you calling the E36 awful or the 1M?

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »

the e36 was awful (at least the american version was...), im calling the 1-series in general awful too cramped, heavy and useless for just about everything. Its a womans car lets not avoid the 600lb gorilla in the room lol

I'm just hoping the new bi-turbo 6 will wake up the 1 and if the 1M has any weight reduction. (and will this hopped up 6 go into the 3 series?)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:49:43 AM by MP3 » Logged

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »

I thought the 335is already had this engine.

But yeah, this isn't really "unveiled". These are the same teaser shots I saw 2 days ago.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »

^Supposedly it's based on that engine but tweaked.

Anyone figure out wtf is new about the lights?

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »

^Supposedly it's based on that engine but tweaked.

Anyone figure out wtf is new about the lights?

Then it would still be the N54, but slightly modified.

Also, I don't think he's talking about the headlights unless the cover is covering up the part of the headlights that was changed from the non-M 1-Series. It might be a change to the tail lights.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »

He said it was in the revealed area. And yeah, it's got the N54+ per se.

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »

Officially unveiled...
Source: AutoBlog
BMW's long, agonizing roll-out of information about the 2012 1 Series M Coupe has been a bit maddening. In addition to an early video reveal, we were invited to get some seat time in a prototype of the 1M, leaving us with just the final production-spec images and details in the world of the unknown. Well, wait no more – BMW has officially taken the wraps off of its hot new 1 Series, and while we're still very eager to put this sporty coupe through its paces, we can't help but wish for just a teensy bit more... oomph.

Let's start with power. The 1 Series M Coupe uses BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six, and while early estimates had the car pumping out as much as 350 horsepower, the final numbers are: 335 hp and 332 pound-feet of torque – exactly what you get out of this engine in the current Z4 sDrive35is. The car's ECU has an overboost function that provides an additional 37 lb-ft of twist at full tilt, and with your foot pressed hard into the right pedal, 0-60 will happen in just 4.7 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited at – you guessed it – 155 miles per hour.

The only transmission available is a six-speed manual, though rumors have circulated about a possible twin-clutch DCT box making its way into the car down the road. Like all M cars, the 1M features an M Drive button on the steering wheel that improves throttle response. Additionally, the car is equipped with an M Dynamic Mode button that allows the electronic driving nannies to kick in slightly later than normal.

Compared to a 2011 135i coupe, the 1M is 0.2 inches longer, 2.1 inches wider and 0.5 inches taller. Both the front and rear tracks have been increased by 2.8 and 1.8 inches, respectively. Weighing in at 3,296 pounds, the 1 Series M Coupe is 77 pounds lighter than your off-the-shelf 135i. The 1M rides on standard M-specific 19-inch wheels wrapped in 245/35 rubber up front and beefy 265/35 out back. BMW hasn't made great strides to rework the 1 Series' interior for the M, but things like sport seats and a fat sport steering wheel are standard fare.

Don't get us wrong, we're drooling over the 1 Series M Coupe, but we can't help but wish for a bit more power and perhaps a larger reduction in weight. After all, BMW is comparing this car to the E30 M3 coupe (see for yourself in our high-res image gallery), which is perhaps one of our all-time favorite Roundel sports cars. Still, BMW needs to position the 1 Series M Coupe in a way that it doesn't step on the toes of it's big brother, the M3, and we're sure that this M Coupe treatment will provide more than enough moxie for us enthusiasts to get our kicks.

We'll have plenty of live shots direct from the 1M's Detroit Auto Show debut...

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »

Saw this video last night. Doesn't look too bad. Looks like a blast to drive. There's too much going on front and back bumpers though.
and has anyone sat in the back of a 1 series? Doesn't look too comfortable.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1spzeR-giq4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1spzeR-giq4</a>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:15:02 PM by SpiderX1016 » Logged

MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:03:48 PM »

Hell, the back of a 3 series is a tight squeeze ad you should see the back of the 6. Looks are one thing, go up to it and you cant sit back there at all lol.

Troggie42

Unemployed Bastard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

Good lord that rear bumper is hideous. The stance in the rear looks all fucked, too. This car needs to be lowered at least an inch. Then it will be sexytimes. Smiley I like the idea, but couldn't they lighten it more? The old piratebimmer was like 3200 lbs, WTF?

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »

i like the rear, and the car as a whole
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »

I love it. It's my favorite BMW currently on the market.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: