theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 05:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Make RC Drift tires cheap!  (Read 16691 times)
Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »

If any of you are into RC drifting, some of you may have realized that It gets quite expensive when running through sets of tires and having to dish out up to 20$ for a set.

There is a much much much cheaper way to get tires for your 1/10th RC car, like for about 8 cents a tire!!!

One basic aspect of the RC drift tire is that its hard ABS plastic, so why pay so much for a piece of plastic with a brand name on it?

Why don't you just make your own? 

Here is how you do it:

Your standard 1/10 scale RC car has two inch diameter/ 1 inch width wheels which fit perfectly into a two inch ABS pipe available at most hardware centers.

this is what you need:

2 inch Black ABS Pipe at what ever length you need, I have a 60 inch pipe that equals 60 tires!!!
Clamp style Pipe cutter. (best cutter because it leaves a nice round edge on the tire)

The next step is to measure the pipe to begin the cut:

Then begin your cut:

after the cut this is what you get: A FINISHED TIRE!!!

All that is left is to clean up the edges with a small hobby knife or sand paper if desired then mount on the rim.

To mount up the tire on the rim, since the tire is very loose by itself, is to wrap electrical tape around the rim and press the tire on.

Then take your car out and Drift!

Here is a pic of my drift rat:

Grin
Its not pretty, but it gets the job done, I'll also get another car soon as well.

Mods have been performed on a Tamiya TT-01 AWD chassis with Tamiya Hop Up 540 sport motor.

Thunderbird88

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »

Nice!

Phew you saved my ass!
I was going to jump on you and hit you when I saw the car. I thought it was a Kyosho Pure Ten but phew, it's a Tamiya Smiley

Also, I usually censor the word K****o
cousingrandpa

Plumber, Cars & Guitars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »

So, just out of curiosity, why don't you like Kyosho? Is it their quality beginner through armature product or their awesome costumer service?  

I stick with HPI, Ofna & Tamiya myself.

Polish Guy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »

Yep, Tamiya TT-01 all the way!

I plan on getting another Tamiya car soon to build a better drift car. butt rock

Mine is ok, but its so beat to hell that I will just use it as my beater car and have a second to race properly. Grin

Thunderbird88

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:04 AM »

So, just out of curiosity, why don't you like Kyosho? Is it their quality beginner through armature product or their awesome costumer service?  

I stick with HPI, Ofna & Tamiya myself.

Well, neither me or my friends like Kyosho.
Their cars suck for example the MP7.5 and MP777 their chassies bent all the time, well made? No.
Their spare parts are 3x the cost of any other maneufacturer.
Their nitro engines is total crap.
Their Mad Force ... Just look at it. Looks like it's build in a shed.

There are far more better cars than Kyosho like Traxxas (which is the only brand I'm using), O'donnel, Ofna, Hong Nor, Nanda, Habao etc. And they're cheaper.

Only successful car Kyosho have built seems to be the MP9 but hell they can really have a nice price on that too ... $1000 for rolling chassie in Sweden.
My father have an old Kyosho Raider Pro (yes it's old but still should be good) and it's eating outputs. With everything original and it broke all the time until he put it in the closet. And that was a really expensive car in 1991 when he bought it.
cousingrandpa

Plumber, Cars & Guitars

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:29 PM »

Well, neither me or my friends like Kyosho.
Their cars suck for example the MP7.5 and MP777 their chassies bent all the time, well made? No.
Their spare parts are 3x the cost of any other maneufacturer.
Their nitro engines is total crap.
Their Mad Force ... Just look at it. Looks like it's build in a shed.

That sounds about right, I only had any luck with 1 Kyosho & that was my 80's ultima turbo. Other than that I agree that Kyosho is utter crap. Their only decent stuff is the top line pro cars that are mostly unaffordable for the hobbyist level.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: