theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:49:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought a new bike, well old bike, well new old bike!  (Read 2955 times)
Laminator

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »

I wanted a bike I can 'tweek' with for a while. As the Bimota is a bit rare and special I didn't want to do anything to it.

So, after a couple of beers and ebay, I ended up with a 1988 Yamaha FZR400 RSP.

It's an import from Japan. The RSP is the racing special version with close ratio gearbox, shorter pistons, longer con rods, oil cooler, SP cam and CDi, plus other bits.

Revs like it wants to reach the sky, with a nice pipe on it sounds ace at 14K and a little above. I bent the speedo past the stop several times on the way back with it yesterday Wink

Looks good next to the Bimota

Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
VTEC_Dreams
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »

Nice, nice, nice, nice!

God, why is it that old Japanese bikes are SO MUCH COOLER than new ones?? As wicked badass as that Bimota bike is, that Yamaha is the bike I'd ride home. If I rode, that is.   ;Wink

Anyhow...
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Awesome bike laminator! Will you be posting a video where we could hear it hit 14k rmps? I bet it sounds sublime.
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

I saw the title, and got really excited...Considering the love laminator and I both share, of vintage performance , this was not what I expected..

The yamaha is great, but I was expecting an old two stroke suzuki water buffalo, or a norton commando cafe bike,,,or  a triumph TT scrambler....or even my dream bike...the HD XR 750R flat track racer....

laminator...I will drool over the yamaha, but I am sure you understand that I hope I get one of the bikes I mentioned before you do....LOL

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
kosai03
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »

I've always wanted one of those to screw around on  Grin
mrs-michelle
Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »

I've always wanted one of those to screw around on  Grin

I thought this said "To get screwed on" ... wow.. You can tell where my mind is at.

I think it looks great. I'd love to have one.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »

You have such an amazing collection, Lammy. You just added some more awesomeness to your collection.

I'd take either one of those down the Isle of Mann.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »

very nice man..

i've had my eye on these two for a while:

hurricane:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-hurricane-600-V-I-N-JH2PC1909HM002776-Lucus-Greer-W0QQAdIdZ204873367

legit nsr with only 7700km:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-1987-Honda-NSR250-W0QQAdIdZ134774394

what do you think of these?

maybe you should snatch it up for your awesome-tree

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
Laminator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 05:35:55 AM »

I'm going to Cadwell Park race track this weekend, not to race unfortunaely, but to work. I'll be going on the bike so I'll see if John (in the van) can get a little video on the way there.

I did look at a racing Kawa KR1S 250cc 2-stroke but it was very highly tuned for the track and would of meant a lot of tinkering to keep it going. I also looked at a NSR250, but that was quite a lot more than I wanted to spend. Last year a mate sold a RGV250 (with gull rear swingarm), lovely bike for £900!!! It's worth double that now.

Both bikes look good Fabz, not sure on vehicle pricing over there compared to here. But, for the same price as the CBR (Hurricane) you could get on a 1999 CBR600.

The NSR looks good and would be great fun, a 2 stroke needs a lot more looking after than a 4 stroke. I had a slightly tuned RD350YPVS for a while, I ended up blowing it to bits. I will own a 2 stroke again, maybe a NSR250 Smiley

This one is for sale at £5000!!!!(about $7500 US)

Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:18:34 AM »

WOW! Nice bikes but way too fast for me, lol.

Axe
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »

Wow, that bike must be a blast to ride!  I've never even heard of the FZR version.  I once took a pic of my old bike with a similar looking FZ version.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: