theautolounge.net
January 21, 2018, 02:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tekton 4.5  (Read 4460 times)
Fox
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »

Received a nice self-present this week. A pair of Tekton 4.5's!

These are really different for me; I have never owned a single-driven full-range speakers before.. well, nothing in the hi-fi range. The feature a pair of Fostex 4.5" drivers. They are front ported, which is what I was in the market for; they will be sitting on a desk, next to a wall, so a rear-ported speaker was not ideal.

Stunning looking; a very simplistic look, and its cool that they are built by a master craftsman right here in the USA.

On paper they are efficient, and I say its true. I'm driving them with a 10 wpc tube amplifier and they sound promising. The reason I say promissing, is because the bass response is warm and rich.. but, the high frequencies are a bit harsh. In fact I'm fatigued listing to them.

Of course, its to early to judge them, for they are still in the break-in period. They builder recommends 300 hours! ..long time I say. After running them for 18 hours (in fact they sounded rather bad the first hour), I placed them in the closet, pointed the drivers towards each other, put the media player on repeat, and covered them with a blanket.. and they will play all week, that is how I'm breaking-them in 

Fox
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »

Craftsman quality, high quality Fostex drivers, textbook designed enclosure; these play fidelity all the way up to 20,000Hz. I switched to a more powerful amp, and the bass response is fuller and richer.

I do wish for a little more oomph in the bass response, so I teamed up my 15" subwoofer and crossed it high at 120Hz. Sadly it just overwhelms the Fostex; it just wasn't making "music" together, so I removed the subwoofer.

It's fine though, the bass response is good and realistic. I quite like these guys.

Fox
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

So, I guess I'm the only one that "listens" to music.
Sting Ray
Master

Resident Beanpole

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »

I use my car. My laptop fails epically. Nice speakers, though. Cheesy

"Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House." - Wayne Chism
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: