theautolounge.net
February 25, 2018, 09:18:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformating Windows XP  (Read 1162 times)
Fox
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »

Jeberz, I asked this question on a computer forum and Yahoo! answers with no luck. A nice guy on Yahoo! answers gave me a link to how to make money online, so maybe I will check that out 

I have two old computers. They both run Windows XP Home, which is the O.S. I started out on but admit I'm not exactly familiar with XP (but I can use Windows 7 blindfolded). Both computers, one is a Sony desktop and the other is a Gateway laptop, have a certified OEM XP registration key sticked to the back of them (from the factory).

Will I be able to reformat - erase everything and start from scratch reformat - with a separate XP Home disc? NO I do not want to system restore, neither do I have partitioned factory backup data or restore CDs. The laptop doesn't even boot up to the log-in screen, just gives me the blue screen of death.

I want to get these computers up and running so I can donate them. Or maybe I will just keep the laptop and load Ubuntu on it to play with.
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:53:58 PM »

i do not know, i never tried it actually, but i think there is some lock where you can only reinstall with the matching id, but there should be loopholes, easy

slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »

Jeberz, I asked this question on a computer forum and Yahoo! answers with no luck. A nice guy on Yahoo! answers gave me a link to how to make money online, so maybe I will check that out 

I have two old computers. They both run Windows XP Home, which is the O.S. I started out on but admit I'm not exactly familiar with XP (but I can use Windows 7 blindfolded). Both computers, one is a Sony desktop and the other is a Gateway laptop, have a certified OEM XP registration key sticked to the back of them (from the factory).

Will I be able to reformat - erase everything and start from scratch reformat - with a separate XP Home disc? NO I do not want to system restore, neither do I have partitioned factory backup data or restore CDs. The laptop doesn't even boot up to the log-in screen, just gives me the blue screen of death.

I want to get these computers up and running so I can donate them. Or maybe I will just keep the laptop and load Ubuntu on it to play with.

Yes.

So long as the key is for the same version of XP that you have on disc.

Fox
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »

Yes.

So long as the key is for the same version of XP that you have on disc.

I do not have a disc.
Fox
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »

Hey?

I will just put Ubuntu on the laptop and get pissed off and throw it against the wall because something will not be compatible, and I wont understand it because I do not have a Masters degree in computer science.
SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

Yay linux

The most pita OS even after you learn how to use it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
slowfiveoh
Semper Paratus
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

I do not have a disc.

So ummm.

Find one?

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:32:41 AM »

Yay linux

The most pita OS even after you learn how to use it.

Bite me.

Reformat the hard drive?

start-run-cmd

C: - ENTER

c:\> format c:

Solves all your problems.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: