theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Could the Lexus LF-A production super GT be ready for Tokyo?  (Read 14985 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »

Source: WCF
Lexus is planning on unleashing its much-awaited LF-A sports car at the Tokyo Motor Show in November according to InsideLine. The LF-A had previously been thought to be dead in the water, however, later stories of its resurrection surfaced. Lately it has been quiet on that front until now.

This bodes well for the Tokyo show which at some point was being considered for closure this year. That doesn't seem to be realistic for now but the authorities are saying the show will be cut by four days. Some major exhibitors like Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, BMW, Nissan, Lamborghini and Volkswagen have pulled out of the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show.

Big international motor exhibitions are but one of the side industries being affected by the sharp slump in motor vehicle production and sales. It was only days ago that reports suggested the British Motor Show was cancelled from 2010.

The Lexus LF-A would be powered by a 600hp (441kW) Lexus V10 engine and be capable of sub-5 second 0-100km/h sprint times. It was supposed to be the Lexus challenger to what was the next Honda NSX but unfortunately for Honda fans that project was canned in line with cost-cutting measures.

Another probable reveal will be the rear-wheel-drive sports car jointly developed by Subaru and Toyota. The car is powered by a compact four-cylinder engine capable of 220hp (162kW). In keeping with the times Toyota will showcase a new range of hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles as well.

and by the way, if they're talking about the boxer EJ25 from the WRX, then its going to have 265hp, not 220.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

and by the way, if they're talking about the boxer EJ25 from the WRX, then its going to have 265hp, not 220.

Somewhere I read they want to call it the Celica. I dont know if thats true, and I cant remember where I read it. Was it here maybe?

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:39:18 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJ2ujHVRv-s&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TJ2ujHVRv-s&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b</a>

good god, that engine sounds GORGEOUS!

Source: Motor Authority
Though over a year has elapsed since the Lexus LF-A was first spotted in testing, and it's been almost a year since it last ran the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, the crew at Lexus are prepping the perpetual prototype for yet another running of the ADAC Zurich 24h Race, and now they've released photos of the race car that'll be hitting the track.

Last time around the car used the day-long race track outing to give the LF-A's systems a real stress test, to iron out the bugs in the chassis and tuning and to further develop their own technical capabilities. This year the plan focuses on the same concerns, though there will be one major difference - Toyota’s incoming CEO, Akio Toyoda, will be getting some seat time in the Lexus supercar.

While you might expect Toyoda to be just another boring executive type, the incoming CEO is keen to see the carmaker offer more performance models and was one of the key people involved with development of the Lexus IS-F - even donning a racing suit and getting behind the wheel during high-speed testing. He’s also previously expressed a desire to bring back Toyota sports cars like the Celica and Supra, and his planned efforts at next month’s Nurburging 24-hour race only reaffirm this commitment.

For those who don’t know, Toyoda is the 52 year-old grandson of Toyota founder Kiichiro Toyoda, and he’s set to replace the carmaker’s current chief, Katsuaki Watanabe, this June.

As for the specially prepped LF-A race car, it will feature a 4.8L V10 rated at over 492hp (367kW), a carbon-fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) body shell, and will race in the Division 2 SP8 class for near-production engines. The layout of the car is a front-mid engine, rear-mid transaxle with rear radiator, with a paddle-shifted manual transmission. The 20in wheels are wrapped in 305/30 Bridgestone racing rubber.

The race kicks off on May 23, though practice will start May 21, so if you're in the neighborhood of the Nurburgring, get your tickets and take the chance to get a look at what might be the next Lexus supercar - if it ever makes it to production.

does anybody know if there's a restriction on engine size in the near-production class? because 4.8 sounds a bit compact. i don't know, maybe i was right about the engine being based off the old Toyota F1 V10. that's why its pretty compact.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »

Somewhere I read they want to call it the Celica. I dont know if thats true, and I cant remember where I read it. Was it here maybe?

Thats the first I heard of that. In my opinion, they should avoid resurrecting a name like that. Go new.

clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »

The really funny thing is that the "super GT" from Toyota was supposed to be released whenever Toyota F1 got their first win, this car would have been out a long time ago, but no win yet, and they kept developing it. Now, its time to quit beating around the bush and either release it or scrap it since Toyota obviously isn't quick enough to win a GP.

I for one will be relieved I don't have to hear about more spy shots about this car.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:44 PM »

The really funny thing is that the "super GT" from Toyota was supposed to be released whenever Toyota F1 got their first win, this car would have been out a long time ago, but no win yet, and they kept developing it. Now, its time to quit beating around the bush and either release it or scrap it since Toyota obviously isn't quick enough to win a GP.

it hasn't been released yet not because Toyota hasn't recieved their first F1 win, but because ToMoCo has been having financial issues, and even once threatened to shut the LF-A project down at one point. they put it on idle shortly after its first appearance in the Nurburgring 24.

another thing, this isn't uncommon in the automotive world. we're just seeing what happens alot more than usual. its almost like a behind-the-scenes look because we're seeing this car being developed alot more than any other car. this is the THIRD variation of this car since its concept's debut 2 years ago. so obviously ToMoCo is having trouble with the car alone.

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »

I'm really excited for these cars, I am a big Toyota/Lexus fan as most of you know.

the IS-F would be more than enough for me though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv8G3qtbvTo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3u-DW9G1M

nagmashot
Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »

does anybody know if there's a restriction on engine size in the near-production class? because 4.8 sounds a bit compact. i don't know, maybe i was right about the engine being based off the old Toyota F1 V10. that's why its pretty compact.

The Lexus was entered in the SP8 class, this is the class for 4000ccm to 6250ccm engines n/a
The Lexus was not entered in a close to production car class.. 
The 24h and VLN special class are fully build up race cars field in 20 divisons based on engine displacment, n/a or turbo, gas or diesel powered
The close to production class during the 24h and VLN are called V1 to V6 and VD for diesel powered
nagmashot
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »

The Lexus was entered in the SP8 class, this is the class for 4000ccm to 6250ccm engines n/a
The Lexus was not entered in a close to production car class.. 
The 24h and VLN special class are fully build up race cars field in 20 divisons based on engine displacment, n/a or turbo, gas or diesel powered
The close to production class during the 24h and VLN are called V1 to V6 and VD for diesel powered

here is the officle 2009 registration page of Lexus for the 24h at the Ring
http://adac.24h-rennen.de/Teamdatenbank.4147.0.html?&no_cache=1&tx_stinno24hteamdatenbank_pi1[uid]=25905&cHash=bbaa5b67bc
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »

it hasn't been released yet not because Toyota hasn't recieved their first F1 win, but because ToMoCo has been having financial issues, and even once threatened to shut the LF-A project down at one point. they put it on idle shortly after its first appearance in the Nurburgring 24.

another thing, this isn't uncommon in the automotive world. we're just seeing what happens alot more than usual. its almost like a behind-the-scenes look because we're seeing this car being developed alot more than any other car. this is the THIRD variation of this car since its concept's debut 2 years ago. so obviously ToMoCo is having trouble with the car alone.

The LS400 took from 1983-1989 to prepare before they finally launched it, it took 60 designers, 24 engineering teams, 1,400 engineers, 2,300 technicians, 220 support workers, around 450 prototypes, and over 1 billion dollars. It shows though, those cars amazing, id own one if I could afford another vehicle. Id assume they are doing the same with the LF-A, its their first "Super car" and their future Flagship model.
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

Found a video of the LFA, sounds like a V10 to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAMKHRJbrU
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:49:57 PM by Elmo187 » Logged
FabZ
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »

tuned by Lamborghini much?

Hey, I just passed you; and this is crazy. But, I'm in fourth gear, Vtec baby...
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:14:15 PM »

Here's one I saw in August on display at Pebble Beach Concours

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 12:46:57 AM »

sounds nothing like Lamborghini's/Audi's V10. Lamborghini's/Audi's V10 isn't that high pitched.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:37:52 AM »

sounds nothing like Lamborghini's/Audi's V10. Lamborghini's/Audi's V10 isn't that high pitched.

Sounds like a mix of an I6 and a M5.

The one going around the Nurburgring sounds like a Lambo though.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:39:51 AM by SpiderX1016 » Logged

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: