theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Scion tC recieves a redesign and new, more powerful engine for 2011MY  (Read 2796 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »

Source: AutoBlog
The big reveal for Scion at the 2010 New York Auto Show is staring you square in the face. Meet the 2011 tC. Scion describes the car as defining "refined aggression." They called it, "masculine," too. Even though the new car borrows fairly heavily from the 2006 Fuse concept (not to mention the outgoing tC), our collective jury is still out on the refined aggression part. But we'll go ahead and agree that the new model does indeed look more masculine, which is good for Scion, as the tC demographic not only skews young (most youthful in the industry it turns out), but very male as well.

As for what's new, the engine is now a 2.5-liter I-4, up from 2.4 liters. Power is up as well. The new tC ships with a respectable 180 horsepower and 173 pound-feet of torque. That's plus 19 ponies and 11 pound feet. The suspension is now "sport tuned" and the power steering is electronic, which Scion assured us better allows the engineers to dial in more steering feel. Uh-huh.

The new tC also gets better gas mileage than the previous car (no word yet on exactly how much better) and comes with two new transmissions. There's a six-speed automatic that features sequential-shift (Scion-speak for a manual shift mode) as well asa six-speed manual that promises more refined shifting than the old five-speed.

Other goodies include 18-inch wheels and larger tires, bigger brake rotors (Scion claimed 16-inch rotors front and back during the press conference, but that's... insane) and a flat-bottom steering wheel. The tC has been our favorite Scion ever since Scion replaced the fist-gen xB with the fatter second-gen model. As such, it looks as if we have a new favorite.

I don't know about this. I think it's one of those cars that has to grow on me or to see it in person to appreciate its looks. I love the new engine and how much power it's putting out. Can't wait to see how much it'll be producing in TRD Supercharged trim.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »

I really like the seats and steering wheel. Looks wise it sure beats a lot of things in the same price range.
clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »

Always have been a fan of the tC, I even have a poster of one hanging in my room. Although the updates are nice, I like the older one more. Engine wise, this thing is almost an Si power wise, which is really impressive considering this will most likely undercut it in price by a few grand.

I dig how they used the FUSE Concept for some styling cues.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »

hmm, I prefer the old TC. This one is all boxy.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Jerrycobra

A&P mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »

looks like they took to old TC and added a box modifier to it, i think it looks good, i rarely say that to a toyota product, haha, also, diggin the square out steering wheel

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »

I like the old one more to me its round body and its lines really complement the car I was wondering what the new one would look like because the Tc has been needing a facelift for quite some time and I know it wasnt going to be easy. Still the car looks good albiet the back rear passenger windows but it looks good none the less. Whats important is the engine is beefier and should make respectable numbers with the TRD supercharger. Grin

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

Why are their two of each exterior shot? 

Is there a difference I am not seeing? Also, LOVE the shot of the key! 

That alone would make me run out and buy one!!

I dig how they used the FUSE Concept for some styling cues.

So is this the concept that is to replace the tC?

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »

One has a spoiler, the other one doesn't. Also, have you ever seen a keyfob on the key itself? Saves on clutter in the pocket/purse.

And no, DC is saying that this new tC is based on the Fuse Concept.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
clutch
Forza Master
Administrator
Master

Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »

Well now I don't want to say its based on that thing. The FUSE concept oozes badassery. This just picks up some slight styling cues.

Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »

I prefer the old one too. As for the keyfob on the key thing, the 07 Escape Hybrid at work has the fob on key setup.
Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

Dodge avenger and toyota carolla have sex. They have a severly deformed baby that's missing two doors.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »

Dodge avenger and toyota carolla have sex. They have a severly deformed baby that's missing two doors.

I don't see any Avenger in it, nor do I see any COrolla. The only thing I see that can resemble the Avenger is the C-pillar window.

Also, if you're trying to say that the tC is a Corolla...it isn't. It isn't even based on the same platform. It's actually based on a shorter version of the Toyota Avensis platform, which is why the tC is legal to compete in Formula D. It's an AWD platform that can easily be converted to RWD.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »

2011 Scion tC by Five Axis
Source: AutoBlog
Yesterday, Scion revealed their brand spankin' new 2011 tC to the world's automotive press here at the New York Auto Show. We happen to think the car looks just fine, but will admit that for a youth oriented brand such as Scion, a little bit more aggression might have been nice. Meet the Five Axis tuned Scion tC, a car that couldn't get much more aggressive unless it was holding a gun. A really big one. \ If you don't know, Five Axis is mostly known for their show car offerings.

The "Blood Shot Red" paint is slathered over a four-inch wide body kit. The lower grill is just plain nuts. Sadly the doors of this concept were locked, but we could see (but not really photograph) that the interior's stuffed with all sorts of customized good stuff, with lots of what appears to be leather and suede. The suspension is made up of Tein adjustable coil-overs. The brakes are ginormous (especially for a 180-horsepower tC), measuring 14-inches in front and 13-inches in the rear. But the brakes aren't the crazy part.

The crazy part consists of the wheels. Ready? The front wheels are so big they require 245/30/20 rubber. The rear? 295/30/20. That's right, the rear wheels are 10.5-inches wide. Remember this car's a front-wheel driver. Sort of gives new meaning to the phrase, "all show and no go," eh?

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »

I could do that one. Does it come with toyotas unexpected accelaration issues too? All the more to raise the blood pressure.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »

hmm, not bad. not bad at all.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: