theautolounge.net
January 19, 2018, 09:33:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 VW MKVI Golf GTI Official Thread  (Read 10062 times)
Elmo187

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

Source: Motor Authority
At last year’s Paris Motor Show Volkswagen unveiled a thinly disguised 'concept' of the Mark VI Golf GTI, the latest iteration of one of the most acclaimed hot hatches on the market. New shots released today show the concept car was in fact a doppelganger for the production model, right down to the fog lights and license plate holder.

As expected, the Mark VI GTI's styling remains similar to the outgoing model and is differentiated mostly by a new front-end design. The last generation was purchased by 1.7 million people and it’s expected that the new model will do just as well, if not better. With both three and five-door versions available, it should appeal to a wider range of buyers looking for a sportier-than-average euro hatch.

The Mark VI Golf platform is the basis for the GTI update and, like its more mundane companions, the GTI is an evolutionary step forward. The performance hatch retains a 2.0L turbo engine but now develops 210hp (155kW), which is just 10hp (7kW) more than the outgoing model. Top speed is limited to 240km/h and the 0-100km/h benchmark takes approximately 6.9 seconds. Just as impressive is the engine’s flexibility. In fifth gear, the GTI accelerates from 80 to 120 km/h in 7.5 seconds, and even in sixth gear this feat takes less than 10 seconds.

This is because the engine has been tuned to ensure torque throughout the rev range, with the GTI developing 206lb-ft (280Nm) as early as 1,800pm. The low-end grunt also helps the car achieve fuel economy of only 31.6mpg (7.4L/100km), according to the European cycle. Drive is sent to the front wheels via a six-speed manual or optional six-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

Rather than adding lots power to their hot hatches, like most car companies do, VW has concentrated on improving the dynamics of the new GTI with a new sports suspension, DCC adaptive damping and an XDS electronic differential. The car’s front end is lowered by 22mm compared to the regular Golf, which the rear sits 15mm lower. The entire architecture of springs, dampers and rear stabilizers was completely re-tuned as well.

DCC, or dynamic chassis control, continually reacts to the roadway and driving situation and modifies the damper characteristic accordingly in a matter of seconds. The DCC can be switched between Normal, Sport and Comfort modes.

The XDS electronic transverse differential lock is an extension of the electronic limited-slip differential (EDS) integrated in the stability system. In fast cornering, as soon as the car’s electronics detects that the wheel at the inside of the curve on the front axle is starting to slip, the stability system hydraulics builds up braking pressure at this wheel to restore traction. In essence, XDS acts as a type of transverse differential lock that compensates for the understeering that is typical on FWD vehicles when driving fast through corners.

Inside, the GTI comes standard with sports bucket seats in the front that are swathed in a mix of tartan fabric and optional leather. The headrests, which feature an upholstered GTI logo, are anti-whiplash units. Other goodies include stainless steel pedals, an aluminum look gear knob, and a leather steering wheel with the GTI symbol sitting center. Up to five adults can comfortably sit in the car, and with the rear seats folding storage space expands to 1,305L. Otherwise, there is just 350L of trunk space.

First sales will start in Germany this week, with North American versions scheduled to arrive by the middle of the year.

the only problems i have with this is the dual exhaust and how it looks like a mini-Touareg. the dual exhaust just looks out of place and its quite small also. i know it was dual exhaust before, but that was from one single muffler sitting side-by-side. just single exhaust is so much better looking for FWD 4 bangers.

can't wait to see what the R20T is going to look like now. with AWD and more power being squeezed from that 2.0T, should be a fun little car. BUT there's still suspicions that VW might just take the new 2.5L I5 from the new Audi TT-RS and throw it in the MKVI Golf and give it an R25 designation.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:33:24 PM by Elmo187 » Logged

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

I am really liking the MKVI so far. I think the design is much better than the MKV. I know its a similar style, but the front looks better. I wish they had provided pictures of the three door as well.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »

Following the success of the Golf R32, a replacement for the car based on the Mark VI platform was always going to have big shoes to fill. However, with news that the torquey 3.2L V6 engine from the Mark V model was being phased out, the outlook for the car’s successor was looking grim.

That was until reports emerged claiming VW was working on a new high-performance turbocharged engine to replace the older V6. We now have the first spy shots of the car, which was caught testing recently at Germany’s Nurburgring circuit. While the prototype seen here is disguised in the body of 2.0L TDI model, under its hood is a newly developed 2.0L turbocharged petrol engine – hence the name Golf R20.

The hot-hatch is expected to deliver 270hp (201kW) and be fitted with a six-speed manual and AWD. A dual-clutch DSG is also expected to be featured as an option. The 0-62mph (100km/h) sprint should fall into the five second bracket and top speed will likely be set somewhat higher than that of the GTI. Unlike its Euro-competition - the Renault Megane RS and Ford Focus RS - the R20 will use AWD for superior performance and handling.

The R20 is expected to go on sale in Europe towards the end of the year and be launched in the U.S. by early 2010. VW will also reportedly unveil a R-series Scirocco coupe at this year’s DAC 24-hour race at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in May.

The R20 is expected to bow in at September’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »

Please please please let this get through production and into the USA. I'd love to see this engine and drivetrain combo come here in a 3 door hatch with a VW badge on it. 270hp would make it the most powerful GTI ever produced.

The downside? It wont sound anything nearly as glorious as a VR6.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »

Source: WCF
Golf R20T to get new twin turbocharged 2.0L engine; Golf R45 with Audi TT-RS's 2.5L turbo I5 being considered
The corporate-speak word still used today is "synergy". But if VW wants to borrow some technology from Audi, such as lifting its latest 5-cylinder engine out of the TT-RS and placing it in an AWD Golf, then call it what you will.

But before we get to that, first come the Golf and Scirocco R20T models, featuring an engine that will up the power quotient on the Golf to better meet the competition, given that there's a 300 hp Focus RS and a 250 hp Megane Renault Sport prowling the streets already. VW has been testing the Golf and Scirocco R20T models over at the Nurburgring circuit with a 2.0 liter twin-turbocharged powerplant that possibly outputs about 300 horses too, according to AutoMotorSport.se sources at Wolfsburg.

Details on the turbo-twinning technology are not yet available but it seems VW will push the 2.0 liter power plant it shares with Audi (as seen in the S3 with 265 hp) to even higher levels than the current, rather tame, 211 hp rating in the Golf GTI and those 265 horses in the S3.

Also under testing in both those models in all-wheel-drive form by VW is Audi's new 2.5 liter, turbocharged 5-cylinder engine with 340 hp and 450 Nm of torque recently introduced in the new TT-RS. The models are designated by the attached R45 moniker and AutoMotorSport.se is reporting that even that powerplant may be getting a boost to 390 hp.

Now, that is engineering at work, no matter what you call it.

who are they targetting with the R45? 340 or 390hp? there's no other competition out there. that kind of power would absolutely rape the current STI and Lan-Evo. are they looking to compete against the very small market of Lan-Evo X FQs? i mean its a VERY small market since they're only sold in the UK.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:41:28 AM »

First off, I'd like to say I am glad to see VW may try to put a 300hp car on the road. I think that'd be awesome and finally give some of the other 300hp jap cars a run for their money.

Second, I'd like to see how they oriented the turbos in that bay. I am assuming a small and a large turbo to get rid of lag with the small and run a low pressure high volume turbo for the big boy. This is interesting.

Third comment is in regards to the Golf R45. If they built that... And then actually made it available... That would be awesome. I'd be in line for one.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »

VW unveils Scirocco R while previewing what powertrain might be powering the Golf R
All our American readers look away because pictured here is a new high-performance variant of the Volkswagen Scirocco coupe, a car that has officially been ruled out for U.S. sale. VW first hinted at a new high-performance version of the Scirocco when it revealed the GT24 race concept back at the Austrian Wörthersee Tour tuning show in May of 2008, and then followed it up with the Scirocco Study R concept at the Bologna Motor Show that same year.

The new performance variant is called the Scirocco R and it has just been unveiled at the Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race, which kicks off today and continues over the weekend at the famous German circuit. Key features lifted from the previous concepts include the aggressively styled bumper with larger intakes and unique daytime running lights, 18in wheels, and slightly wider fenders plus a lowered ride height.

The Scirocco R delivers 265hp (198kW) and 258lb-ft (350Nm) and comes with a six-speed manual or optional dual-clutch DSG. This should see the sporty coupe accelerate from 0-62mph (100km/h) in around six seconds and easily reach an electronically limited top speed of 155mph (250km/h). Incidentally, the car’s engine is the same 2.0L TFSI unit found in the Audi S3 and it should be appearing in a new R version of the Golf, which you can see in our previous spy shot story.

VW has decided to stick with a FWD layout though the addition of the company’s new XDS electronic differential should help with the handling. The XDS electronic transverse differential lock is an extension of the electronic limited-slip differential (EDS) integrated in the stability system. In fast cornering, as soon as the car’s electronics detects that the wheel at the inside of the curve on the front axle is starting to slip, the stability system hydraulics builds up braking pressure at this wheel to restore traction. In essence, XDS acts as a type of transverse differential lock that compensates for the understeering that is typical on FWD vehicles when driving fast through corners.

First sales are scheduled to start in September following a world debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show that same month.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:25:02 AM »

VW shows off 2 new concepts based on the Golf GTI and Polo
While this weekend’s Nurburgring 24 hour race will see the unveiling of the 265hp (198kW) Scirocco R, Volkswagen is using this week’s Wörthersee Tour in Austria to present two special GTI concepts based around the new Polo and Golf hatchbacks. Labeled the ‘Wörthersee 09’ GTI concepts, their unveiling coincides with the sales launch of the new Golf GTI as well as the regular Polo hatch.

For the uninitiated, the Wörthersee Tour is a gathering for VW and Audi fans and traditionally features a number of performance cars based on regular production models that have been tuned internally by the respective VW Group brands.

The production Polo GTI isn’t due for launch until the end of the year but the latest concept car gives us a preview of what to expect. The concept car features a 1.4L turbocharged and supercharged engine with 86hp (63kW) on tap, but to make it really stand out designers have added a ‘Flash Red’ paint scheme with black racing stripes.

Other details include 18in ‘Budapest’ alloy wheels, blacked out grille and headlight surrounds, and a sports exhaust system. Inside, the sporty theme continues with black and red nappa leather seats, aluminum tread plates and red leather stitching for the brake handle, gearknob, steering wheel and door trim.

The Golf GTI concept, on the other hand, gets its own ‘Firespark Metallic’ paint scheme, black 19in alloy wheels and a set of distinctive smoked LED tail-lamps. When it comes to power, the concept features the same powerplant as the production Golf GTI, which means a 2.0L TSI engine with 210hp (155kW) on tap is nestled under its hood.

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »

The Scirocco sounds like its going to be awesome. I'm glad they decided to throw a more powerful engine into it.

And I like that VW has acknowledged the gigantic VW show, Worthersee, by building cars named after it. I really like the seats in the GTI.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »

VW apprentices tune the new MKVI Golf GTI to pump out 301hp
Source: WCF
Four Volkswagen apprentices aged between 19 and 22 have created this unique Golf GTI Street shown at the GTI Meeting at Wörthersee. They were supervised by a team of experienced VW trainers. It took the four youths about three months to conceptualise and to get the car to the stage where it is now.

The engine used is the 2.0-litre TFSI four-cylinder unit. But instead of the usual 147kW (200hp) or 155kW (211hp), it makes a hair-tingling 221kW (301hp). The transmission unit is a 6-speed manual.

Exterior kit is made of 19-inch wheels with 225/35 Pirelli tyres, a custom stainless steel exhaust system, a modified front bumper, xenon headlights, a slide / Exhibitor electric glass roof, brake discs with "GTI" holes, darkened side and rear windows and a rear spoiler. The suspension system installed is adjustable.

The interior mirrors the exterior as far as the black and white colour combination goes. ICE is plentiful, reflecting the spirit of the car's creators. It includes a 26-inch Samsung screen, an Xbox 360 console and a modified sound system.

Other changes were made to include new carpets from the VW Accessories wardrobe, different door handles, a leather multifunction steering wheel, park pilot and sports front seats.

coolvw52

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »

I like this colour :

Cool

Fox
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »

Woo, I want a Scirocco R, but its not coming stateside.

Jared

Defender of the Cobalt SS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

It looks good...

Though the dual exhaust looks awkward.

I like the headlight and tail light design but the side profile is a bit... eh... odd.

Overall, not bad.

VW for some reason doesn't do it for me... but it certainly looks clean. Can't wait to see a race version in KONI Challenge.

Pit crew - Team Cobalt CA.
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 04:21:20 AM »

VW Golf R20 hits the web before Frankfurt debut
Source: AutoBlog
The Volkswagen Golf R32 had an small but dedicated fan base here in the U.S. It's 250 horses and road-gripping 4Motion all-wheel drive made for one sprightly Golf, but changing times calls for another approach for the R franchise. Our German friends at VW are using home field advantage at the Frankfurt Motor Show to announce the highly anticipated 2010 R20. The newest R-badged Golf will drop a couple cylinders and add turbocharging for motivation, but the AWD system will stay to keep all that power from being wasted at the front wheels.

The R20 will be reportedly be powered by a boosted 2.0L engine capable of 265 hp and 258 lb-ft, likely an exact duplicate of the engine of the Scirocco R20. World Car Fans says the new powertrain will make for a 0-62 time of 6.5 seconds with the six-speed manual, and 6.4 seconds with the dual clutch gear box. Those times sound pretty slow to us and are akin to what a standard GTI can manage, so we're guessing VW is sandbagging for now.

The R20 also has several aesthetic changes including a new front grille, LED daylight running lamps and plenty of fresh R-badging to let onlookers know this is no run-of-the-mill Golf. Also new are some gorgeous new rims that look to be of the 18 inch variety, and the interior receives some tasteful two tone treatments as well. We'll be sure to update you on all things R20 as official information from VW becomes available.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:09 AM »

I would kill to have that Interior in my car.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: