theautolounge.net
November 21, 2017, 05:01:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a new cover band  (Read 1315 times)
Axe
Master

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »

Not sure if this is in the right spot so feel free to move as needed.

So I answered an ad on CL last week and found a singer dying to get out and play. Since then he has found a bass player, drummer, and a rhythm player that is even better on keys.

We are going for that 80's Rock thing so it should be fun. The singer, bassist, and myself sat down on Thursday and hashed out a quick list of 10 songs to start off with. I'm really not crazy about a couple of them, but willing to play them for the band.

So far we're looking at:

1. Dio - Holy Diver
2. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
3. The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
4. Led Zeppelin - Good Times, Bad Times
5. Alice Cooper - School's Out
6. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
7. Ozzy - Mr Crowley
8. Kiss - Detroit Rock City/Strutter/Rock & Roll All Night (medley)

I'm not crazy about #'s 3&4 just because I don't think they go with the rest very well.

Stranglehold is OK, but I'd rather play Dog Eat Dog or even Cat Scratch Fever myself.

I need a lot more time to memorize Mr Crowley, lol. I'd rather start with Over A Mountain or Flying High Again.

Any other song suggestions?
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »

Your going to play terrible teddys stranglehold? There is some mean guitar work in that. Whis playing lead?

Im an 70's, and 80's headbanger myself, I would say a couple of my favorites are:

man on the silver mountain

burn

Since you've been gone

Paranoid

lights out in london

rock bottom

Those are my "when I hear them on the radio it gets turned up" songs

One other more obscure one that I love to hear.

stone blue

Anyone know who plays that?  Grin

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

I just did a quick search and it says that's Foghat, but it's not ringing a bell to me. I still have Foghat Live on Vinyl, lol. I'm surprised it works I played it so much in the 70's-80's.

To answer your question I'm playing lead. Stranglehold doesn't have anything in it very difficult to play, it's just a lot to memorize for an old guy with as many head injuries as I've had. (at least 3 concussions) You also need an echo or digital delay and I have a couple of sources for that.

Rock Bottom is a cool song. We picked out Detroit Rock City & R&R All Night, and the singer listened through few and decoded what he thought would go decent in the the middle. We plan on doing it as one 6-7 min song, instead of three 3-4 min songs. We'll see, lol.

This is just 10 to work on to see where we all are. We'll probably end up with about 100 to choose from if things go right. The band I played out in back in the 80's had well over that.

I'd like to have a couple from any band that we do just so we can pull out a new song once in a while, and I'd like to keep it rockin'. Bands like:

Quiet Riot
Montrose
Sammy Hagar
AC/DC
Van Halen
The Cars
ZZ Top
Metallica
Megadeth
Scorpions
Def Leppard
Ratt
Motley Crue
Rush
Aerosmith
Boston
Iron Maiden
Styxx

And if the singer turns out to be good enough I'd love to do some Skid Row, lol.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:40:59 PM by Axe » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: