theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:47:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: American Chopper cancelled, Paul Sr. sues Paul Jr. for $1 million in damages  (Read 25123 times)
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »

I stopped watching it years ago.

x2

I just saw an ad on tv with "the final american chopper EVER" and thought "WTF...that show is still on?"

The original shows were cool, but it got old. Especially after I found out they were just assembling off the shelf parts on an off the shelf frame...then selling the thing for 6 figures. I knew a guy that was pissed at the show. He bought a brand new texas chopper for $60k (I think), and when he tried to go and sell it a couple years ago he couldnt even get $25k out of it because the market was just flooded with raked choppers.

Hell, in the height of the whole fad, I priced out a "build it yourself" chopper kit for $18k. The frame was already painted too.

heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »

the fad is going to touring bikes now

I don't have an attitude problem... You have a "being an asshole" problem
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »

x2

I just saw an ad on tv with "the final american chopper EVER" and thought "WTF...that show is still on?"

The original shows were cool, but it got old. Especially after I found out they were just assembling off the shelf parts on an off the shelf frame...then selling the thing for 6 figures. I knew a guy that was pissed at the show. He bought a brand new texas chopper for $60k (I think), and when he tried to go and sell it a couple years ago he couldnt even get $25k out of it because the market was just flooded with raked choppers.

Hell, in the height of the whole fad, I priced out a "build it yourself" chopper kit for $18k. The frame was already painted too.

AT68 lives in that town where they are located, and he said on SF one time that they were total fucking douche bags, the whole lot of 'em, haha.

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »

The show got so stupid, I want to see custom bikes, not some fat guy with long hair doing a piano act, then a comedy club thing.. or grown men yelling at each other and smashing stuff like they are 2, yeah that sure makes me want to buy a bike from them, they sure seem professional

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »

you know, watching the last episode, i'm going to disagree with you guys about them building their bikes with off-the-shelf parts. they fabricated everything on that Kobalt bike except for the engine and frame. the tank and rear fender were hand fabricated and the front fender was pre-manufactered BY them. they also have their own CNC.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »

that is not as hard as you may think....I fabbed up my own fenders for this bike. the front fender is hand rolled, the rear is three fenders sectioned and welded together. The 59 caddy tail lights are frenched in, and all lights are set in steel, so no ground issues........Upswept exhaust has never been made for a bike with a rubber mounted engine and transmission, so those mounts were fabbed by hand. There is a rear stabilizer to stop swingarm flex, and the mounting points were cut off the swingarm, and relocated....That engine is over 2,000CCS, so obviously there are some frame mods, and the frame had to be cut, and reshaped behind the engine to allow the use of a big 2.4 Kw starter (same unit as in a toyota pickup)

Whitechapel

gimme a breakdown

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »

Meh. Good riddance. I know alot about OCC that most don't. My dad has been going to Sturgis for the last 25 years, and since then has made alot of good friends (Hell, Arlen Ness has been to my house for god's sake).

From the stories he's told me, I have no respect for OCC.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »

Lee, you're missing the point. multiple people in this thread ridiculed OCC because they built their bikes with supposed off-the-shelf parts, when they weren't.

still, it doesn't matter the difficulty behind hand fabrication. there's just something about owning an automobile that was hand-built.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »

Lee, you're missing the point. multiple people in this thread ridiculed OCC because they built their bikes with supposed off-the-shelf parts, when they weren't.

still, it doesn't matter the difficulty behind hand fabrication. there's just something about owning an automobile that was hand-built.

Um, actually, they did.

I distinctly remember episodes where they sat down with a catalogue, picked out a frame, fenders, forks, gas tanks, transmissions, primary covers, saddles, and everything else. Then drive to a warehouse and pick everything up.....literally "off a shelf."

Not until the later seasons did they start manufacturing frames, fenders (from fender blanks), and custom billet work from the wheel and water jet they bought.

SpiderX1016
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:47 PM »

Um, actually, they did.

I distinctly remember episodes where they sat down with a catalogue, picked out a frame, fenders, forks, gas tanks, transmissions, primary covers, saddles, and everything else. Then drive to a warehouse and pick everything up.....literally "off a shelf."

Not until the later seasons did they start manufacturing frames, fenders (from fender blanks), and custom billet work from the wheel and water jet they bought.

Only Rick was doing all the hard work as well.

"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different." - Bruce Lee
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »

No, I am not missing the point, I am just not agreeing with you. I have built one off bikes. My triumph three wheeler was in the very first issue of THE HORSE magazine. My panhead was featured in BIKER magazine, and only ever lost one show (that one still pisses me off....judges were biased). I know exactly what it takes to build something like that.....They do not build engines, trannys, frames, front ends, brakes......They outsource more than they make....
Now I have liked a couple items I have seen from them, but there are literally hundreds of better builders out there

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »

No, I am not missing the point, I am just not agreeing with you. I have built one off bikes. My triumph three wheeler was in the very first issue of THE HORSE magazine. My panhead was featured in BIKER magazine, and only ever lost one show (that one still pisses me off....judges were biased). I know exactly what it takes to build something like that.....They do not build engines, trannys, frames, front ends, brakes......They outsource more than they make....
Now I have liked a couple items I have seen from them, but there are literally hundreds of better builders out there

Yeah, I am betting that the only reason the builders you are talking about Heretic didn't get a TV show is because they don't just totally lose it on each other all the time. They are probably professional, and don't need to scream at each other to get anything done... Unfortunately, unless you are ready to rip each other's heads off, it doesn't make good TV.

That's probably the only reason OCC ever got the show in the first place. Fighting makes good TV. Being professional doesn't. It's too bad really.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
heretic
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »

I really agree with you there VR6....I know I have all the same catalogs as OCC had for frames, front ends, transmissions....etc etc. etc  ....Anyone shop who opens an account gets then free. For the home builder, they are available through online dealers...
it is true that drama makes good TV....I often wandered if part of what was portrayed on that show was set up, just to promote ratings

VR6 Man
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »

I really agree with you there VR6....I know I have all the same catalogs as OCC had for frames, front ends, transmissions....etc etc. etc  ....Anyone shop who opens an account gets then free. For the home builder, they are available through online dealers...
it is true that drama makes good TV....I often wandered if part of what was portrayed on that show was set up, just to promote ratings

I remember watching the first episode, or one of the first episodes and thinking to myself, this is staged. My dad always said the same thing as well. He hated that show because Sr. was such an idiot for flipping out all the time.

Dub World: For VW enthusiasts.
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 11:39:14 PM »

Yeah, I am betting that the only reason the builders you are talking about Heretic didn't get a TV show is because they don't just totally lose it on each other all the time. They are probably professional, and don't need to scream at each other to get anything done... Unfortunately, unless you are ready to rip each other's heads off, it doesn't make good TV.

That's probably the only reason OCC ever got the show in the first place. Fighting makes good TV. Being professional doesn't. It's too bad really.

Jessie James had what, 3 or 4 whopping episodes of his bike building show done. IMO it was because he was too level headed, which made it boring for anyone who didnt understand what it took to make things like he did.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: