theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 05:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Formula 1 Thread  (Read 7558 times)
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »

Let's address this one at a time, purely from an opinionated point of view.

How is it an embarrassment?

To me, it's an embarrassment because F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, and motorsport is defined my engines. As you move up in the ranks, you move up in engines. Sure these new engines will be "churning out very similar power numbers" but it's the concept of going to an engine with ever more number of cylinders, it's almost the sex appeal of a V8, or a V10 or a V12. There's no passion, only technology in a turbo 4.

It's also the principal too, of having the sanctioning body control even more of the car design, leaving the ingenuity of the manufacturers to work around such strict rules that they cant come up with the wonderful technology that was in the sport before. Sure, it will pretty much HAVE to be the most technologically advanced engine in the history of the sport, but that wont come at a small price.

Going back to the days where they were running 1200hp turbo 1.5L 4 cylinders is a great idea.

Yes, but this was also the days where only BMW and Renault were running that... Plus it was an option. Run a v8 with this displacement, run a V12 with this smaller displacement, or if you wanna run a turbo, this number of cyl and this displacement. Tracks like Monaco, Ferrari would kick ass because there wasnt any turbo lag (and torquey V12 to boot) but on longer circuits, the turbo's would win. It made the manufacturer title very interesting to watch because of the diversity of the engines.

It'll also give a chance for other manufacturers to enter the sport, considering there's only 4 (Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren), with only 2 being top players.

How exactly will the change make it easier for more manufacturers to enter the sport? It's not like the cost is going down. Actually, It's bound to go up, as i mentioned above. You cant have that kind of reliable HP coming out of an engine and expect to use up even less engines than in previous seasons. The R&D time, effort and money required to make the engine reliable will actually drive away manufacturers.

Let me know of any engine manufacturers who enter the sport strictly based on the turbo engine alone.

irish evo6's
Master

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »

So your saying that the inital R&D cost doesnt justify what could possibly be huge savings in coming seasons? And another thing i Dont agree with your idea that because F1 is the "pinnical" of racing means they have to have large displacement engines . In fact this May make F1even more interesting to watch for the likes of me. And to be honest as some one that is an aspiring racer im surprised to see you put so much emphisis on how many cylinders an engine has. . Oh and there was talk of vw saying that if this rule change came into force they would become a new engine supplier. Probibly using the audi name. But i read nothing offical on that yet though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:19:53 PM by irish evo6's » Logged

"when the world says 'give up', hope whispers 'try one more time'"
Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

VW won't be entering. That was confirmed 2 weeks ago.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
irish evo6's
Master

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

Thanks Aaron as i said i didnt hear or or read about it but was expecting to have missed something.

"when the world says 'give up', hope whispers 'try one more time'"
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »

I think my words werent made fully clear, and for that i am sorry.

By "pinnacle of motorsport" i meant for it to be somehting understood as not a spec series. A spec series is where a driver can hone their skills to another driver, and that is great for talent and developing good drivers, but racing is 1/2 man 1/2 machine and it's just not as interesting if there isnt diversity. I hardly like it as much now, as i did in the v8 and v10 days, because there is something interesting about having an "unfair" advantage. It makes for more creative ideas and ways to think around a problem. Now it's all too technical and by the book.

You look at some of the 70's F1 cars (which i think of as the most lovely time period for these machines) and they werent technically advanced, but they oozed individuality. You could have your back turned on the car and tell weather it was a Ferrari, a Renault, a Lotus, a Tyrell ect. To me now, it's all a bit too perfect.

But this is why i never really liked open-wheel racing as much as i like endurance racing like the ALMS series. so much diversity in those categories. It would be rather boring if they were all spec cars, now wouldn't it?

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 06:19:39 AM »

New Cars

Scuderia Ferrari F150

Mercedes GP W02

Team Lotus F1 T128

Lotus-Renault GP R31

Scuderia Toro Roso STR6

Defending Champions Red Bull F1 RB7
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:50:37 AM by Elmo187 » Logged

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
MP3
Administrator
Grand Master

Bater

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »

Wow, Pirelli really wants you to know they are the one's who make the tyres.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

Wow, Pirelli really wants you to know they are the one's who make the tyres.

I think those are just for press shots. We'll find out in Bahrain.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 04:51:43 AM »

McLaren F1 MP4-26

Williams-Cosworth FW33

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: