theautolounge.net
September 25, 2017, 10:05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I got bored with my 77 fender vibrolux amp  (Read 1816 times)
cousingrandpa

Plumber, Cars & Guitars

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

So like I said I got bored with my 77 fender vibrolux amp. I bought this amp as a basket case back in 91 or so. I taught myself how to service & design tube amps with this amp. Over the years I have gutted & rewired it probably 8 times. The reverb channel I wired like a blackface super reverb with a few minor mods for clean tone. I have that channel sounding how I like it. The dry channel I wired to get some dirt out of & since I don't use the amps vibrato I took that out & used it's tube for extra gain stages. I wired in a Marshall like circuit with a little extra gain & over the years I have tweaked it trying to get the sound right to my ears. Last week I decided to gut that side of the chassis & start over. I used the drive circuit out of a Fender super-sonic with some minor tweaks & I have created a monster. This amp now kicks some serious ass & I am finally done with it. It has a thick heavy overdrive that just sings & harmonics jump from the amp.
Here are some pics of the amp. The first is the amp followed by a full chassis picture. The 3rd is the preamp side of the chassis & the right half of the pic is the section that I just rewired. The last pic it the power section.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »

Nothing sounds like the old stuff. In my opinion.

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Very cool amp, especially now!

That's another reason I prefer old point-to-point amps. At least you can trace down the wiring if you ever need to. Pretty much every amp out there uses some type of circuit board or computer chip, unless it's a very expensive boutique amp.

Axe
cousingrandpa

Plumber, Cars & Guitars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »

All my amps are tube & most point to point. I don't care what anyone says, the best solid state amps just don't have the tone or depth of a good tube amp.

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »

I have a couple of each and they have their places. I do prefer a good tube amp 99% of the time though.

Axe
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »

I have a couple of each and they have their places. I do prefer a good tube amp 99% of the time though.

Axe

x2

I ended up buying a new all digital crate that was supposed to be "JUST LIKE" an old tube amp. So similar in fact that I actually spent an hour on the phone with the designer of the damn thing to get it to work right out of the box (brand brand new model then).

cousingrandpa

Plumber, Cars & Guitars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »

I had a Peirce G2R that I loved, was a major part of my development on guitar. The day I tried it with a band it was over, couldn't cut through & had no balls. Other solid state amps worked much better with a band but they just didn't work for me. I agree that they all have their place & if something works for someone then they should go with it. Solid state just doesn't agree with me. I do wish I still had my GK ML250 though.

Axe
Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:13 AM »

I found a tube amp for sale that I'm dying to get. I'll post more later but I may need to sell a kidney to make this happen.

Axe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: