theautolounge.net
January 23, 2018, 06:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Canepa Auto Museum in Scotts Valley CA  (Read 196757 times)
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »

Well today I stopped by Canepa Auto Museum in the Santa Cruz Mountains between Santa Cruz and San Jose.  It is owned by local racing legend Bruce Canepa who also has a company that sells customized Hummers, SUVs, sportscars and bikes.  But he also has all of these amazing cars and more that have special histories (Buddy Baker's 426 Hemi Daytona), special production numbers (the 4th from the last 427 Cobra ever made), and concours level restorations (the #6 blue/yellow Camaro is an original Mark Donohue racecar completely disassembled bolt by bolt and restored to perfection).

But, I'm disappointed in my dang camera skills.  I know they'd have come out better if I hadn't resorted to using the flash but when I tried leaving the flash off they came out blurry (two Porsche badges below).  I wish I had confidence putting it on manual and setting the speed and aperture but last time I tried that they all came out like crap.  In this case I couldn't risk that so I took most of them on auto with the dang flash on.

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »

damnnnnnnnn
I could just sit in there all day  butt rock

Mac
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »

damnnnnnnnn
I could just sit in there all day  butt rock

Oh man, and the icing on the cake was that I had the place to myself!  Unlike a car show I had no spectators to worry about ruining the shots.  Here's a few more pics of truly breathtaking pieces of automotive history:

1988 959 S (There were 226 959s built in 1987-88 but this is one of only 29 built with the Sport package which includes full roll cage, sport seats & racing seatbelts, 220 mph speedometer, and race tuned suspension)

This 1976 Greenwood Corvette was 1 of 2 built to take on the whaletail Porsche 935s in the IMSA racing series.  It has major power to back up the radical aero body work with 600 cubic inches and over 950 hp.  I won Road Atlanta and had several other podium finishes.   

1967 Shelby Trans Am Mustang (1 of 26 built in 1967 and 1 of 5 known to exist today.  This was first ordered and shipped to Australia to race in the Tasman Trans Am Series where it beat the reigning champion Pete Geoghregan in '67.  It recently went through a complete restoration.

This 1967 Jaguar XKE was originally bought in North Carolina where it spent nearly its entire life logging a total of 94,000 miles.  In recent years it had such an amazing body off restoration such attention to the most minute detail that in scored 99.997 winning its class in while competing in five national Jaguar Club of North America events - absolute perfection!

I wish I paid close attenation to the histories of these:

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »

Awesome pictures !  I second RBNM's thoughts.  I could spend all day there .  .  .

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

What is this guy?

That gruppe B is one of my favorites with the pantera.

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »

What is this guy?

That gruppe B is one of my favorites with the pantera.

Thanks guys, yeah I could spend all day there too (actually did spend quite a long time there while my uninterested wife and daughter waited outside in the car  ).  They were actually quite patient because it was my birthday - turned 43 hence the closeup of Richard Petty's 43  :Smiley

Oh man, that guy whose collection it is, is one helluva racecar driver named Bruce Canepa.  He routinely wins historic races at Laguna Seca driving the snot out of megadollar classic racecars.  And he drives almost as aggressive as NASCAR drivers on the Bristol short track but to his credit I've never seen him actually run someone off the track with a cop style PIT manuever. 

I couldn't resist posting more pics  butt rock

Titus Trans Ams

Z

Greenwood Vette

911 Turbo S

expensive Harley

fast Harley

Jeepcom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

My cousin has that same harley ( white one )
Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

That's a '40 Ford, probably the most widely used moonshine running car in history. With all of the race cars this guy has in his collection, it fits in nicely. Since NASCAR was spawned from bootleggers, and people like Junior Johnson hauled moonshine all over Appalachia in those cars it goes well with the rest of the rides in there. IIRC you could haul about 100 gallons of whiskey in one of those trunks. I've heard about them all of my life, its pretty much my dad's favorite car ever. He loves that body style.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:23:36 PM by Rather B.Blown » Logged

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »

Oh heck yeah, the conversation about the '40 Ford remind me of this DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqauvMKFmA

Here's another pic of that beauty   butt rock :

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »

I finally got around to reading the descriptive cards and now wish I'd taken pics of more of the cars' cards.

This has got to be the WORLD'S FINEST PANTERA! It is a still brand new 1974 De Tomaso Pantera L - with just 100 miles from new, totally original!  On one hand the owner of this car has made it possible for people to see a brand new 35 year old Pantera but on the other hand it also seems like such a waste of an amazing car to not get the enjoyment from driving it year after year.

"The car was featured in the Fall 2003 edition of the Pantera International magazine. The car is spectacular in every aspect. Everything works just as it did when it left the factory and it drives perfectly. The Pantera has a unitized body and the 351 c.i. Ford “Cleveland” V8, developing up to 330 HP. With a top speed of 160 mph it made headlines and Ford took a stake, offering the car through Lincoln-Mercury dealerships. Lincoln-Mercury records show 6,000 cars sold over its four-year production run."

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:58:24 AM »

Oh heck yeah, the conversation about the '40 Ford remind me of this DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqauvMKFmA

Here's another pic of that beauty   butt rock :

Damn. That car just looks badass as is stock. No wonder it was so popular.

Does it come with those 100 gallons of whiskey in the trunk?

Oooooo, what I wouldnt give for that.

elvisfaction

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

I've driven past this place maybe 100 times without a clue of its existence.  The shots are great.  They're pictures of cool cars, I can't ask for any more.  It's such a wide selection of cars Cheesy.  I'm digging that Daytona so hard.  And the 959!  I have to see that in person. 
MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »

I've driven past this place maybe 100 times without a clue of its existence.  The shots are great.  They're pictures of cool cars, I can't ask for any more.  It's such a wide selection of cars Cheesy.  I'm digging that Daytona so hard.  And the 959!  I have to see that in person. 

Heck yeah!  Stop by there on a Sat afternoon like I did.  Their hours are until 3PM.  I went in about 1PM and was truly shocked to see that I was the only single person in that amazing showroom.  I heard a couple voices of women talking in an office nearby but I just ignored them and went to work taking pics  butt rock   I must have drooled all over the cars for about one hour before I left.  Surprisingly no one even acknowledged by existence (it could not have been more PERFECT!!!  When I take pics of cars I always try to avoid catching people in the pics which can be a heckuva challenge at a typical car show or race or auction, etc).

Whitechapel

gimme a breakdown

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »

Got any pics of the blue Grand Prix in the background? That car caught my attention and am curious as to what it is. Looks pretty cool.

MontereyDave
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:52 PM »

Got any pics of the blue Grand Prix in the background? That car caught my attention and am curious as to what it is. Looks pretty cool.

Good eye     It turns out that is a totally unique 1 of 1 prototype of a NASCAR Richard Petty #43 Grand Prix (that was considered for production like the #3 and #20 Dale Earnhardt and Tony Stewart Commemorative Edition Monte Carlos).  But, this one never saw mass production there there is not another one like it anywhere in the world and it is also in like new condition with only 1,700 miles:

Details:

Richard Petty 50th Anniversary Pontiac Grand Prix Concept Car
VIN: 1G2WR1218XF206531
Miles: 1776
2000 Prototype Show Car Built for Petty Enterprises and Pontiac

Concept cars are almost never offered for sale to the general public let alone one that was authorized by a true living legend. That alone would be enough to make this car one in a million. But there is more! The design team included an Indy 500 winner and one of the hottest designers in the car world today. Add to that special factory prototype performance upgrades that make this car flat out scream and you have a car that takes your breath away!

This Pontiac is an extremely unique piece of Petty history and YOU can drive it!

The ONE and ONLY Richard Petty 50th Anniversary Pontiac NASCAR concept car!

To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Petty Enterprises, Petty wanted to create a special “Limited Edition” NASCAR Pontiac that his fans could buy directly from their local Pontiac dealer. The project was conceived by Indy 500 winner Danny Sullivan who teamed with Bruce Canepa to create this one of a kind concept car. Petty was personally involved in the design of the car and approved every design element and performance upgraded developed for this project.

GM supplied the new Pontiac for the project and asked their performance division Delphi to developed special engine upgrades specifically for this car. The Delphi modifications increased the standard 240-horsepower supercharged V6 engines output to an outstanding 300-horsepower! The transmission, suspension and brakes have all been upgraded to handle the increase in horsepower and improve handling. Custom one off aluminum wheels, special painted Petty graphics, full leather interior with Petty’s signature embroidered into each front seat and carbon fiber trim complete the package of this stunning concept car.

Excitement for the project extended beyond GM and the design team. Upon hearing of the project Canepa’s friend and colleague Chip Foose came on board to design the graphic elements and to participate in color selections.

This is a true “Factory Hot Rod” with prototype parts and technology not seen outside of Detroit!

Upon completion the team along with Richard Petty presented the car to Pontiac and received rave reviews. It looked like the project was well on the way to becoming a reality until the bean counters got into the act. Ultimately the project was put on hold and this is the only car that was produced.

Pontiac returned the car to Canepa Design and it has been on display in our Motorsports museum ever since. Today its condition is absolutely spectacular and show ready. The car comes with original photographs signed by Richard Petty, Danny Sullivan, and Bruce Canepa. The photographs depict Petty with the car and also Petty, Sullivan, and Canepa with the car.

If you love NASCAR and Richard Petty then you can’t pass up a once in a lifetime chance to own a piece of Petty’s legacy

Exterior
• Custom fabricated “NASCAR” style stainless steel upper & lower grille screens (brushed/clearcoat finish).
• Carbon/Kevlar “NASCAR” style rear deck lid spoiler with buttonhead stainless steel hardware.
• Custom Exterior Color Finishes - Petty Blue Pearl Metallic over Candy Tangerine Orange and White accents. Including custom painted Richard Petty signatures (side lower rockers & deck lid) and Petty #43 numbers (lower rockers).

Interior
• Custom designed Connolly leather throughout (graphite), including front and rear seats with “Richard Petty” embroidered signature panels. Driver and passenger leather door panel inserts with integrated Petty 50th Anniversary engraved plaques. (Each plaque includes “Limited Edition” designation, race win, date, and vehicle number).
• Additional Connolly leather appointments include front seat base covers, rear seat side trim panels and armrests, center console armrest, steering wheel, shift knob and boot.
• Carbon fiber instrument housing, center console panel and cup holder, door pulls, door handle surrounds and switch bezels.
• Canepa Design front and rear luxury floor carpets and trunk mat including embroidered “Petty” logo.

Engine/Transmission
• 300 H.P. Supercharged 3.8 liter V6 including upgraded fuel system, computer programming and high-flow air intake system.
• Carbon fiber engine cover with Richard Petty signature and #43 number graphic.
• Transmission performance upgrade including increased RPM shift points and low gear torque mode.

Exhaust
• Cat-Back “High-Flow” stainless steel dual exhaust system with custom fabricated brushed stainless steel “Nascar” style exhaust tips.

Suspension
• Lowered high-performance coil springs and gas pressure shock struts. Front tower support strut and rear anti-roll bar. Upgraded 4-wheel disc brakes with 12” front vented rotors and 11” rear rotors.

Wheels/Tires
• “NASCAR” style machined aluminum alloy wheels 19” x 8-1/2” (clearcoat finished).
• Goodyear High-Performance Low-profile “Z” rated tires (255/40ZRI9” Eagle Fl)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: