theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:36:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Chrysler/Dodge Thread.  (Read 27466 times)
Fox
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

There is a press meeting going on right now in Auburn Hills, Michigan as Chrysler's CEO Sergio Marchionne (Fiat) discusses the company's 5-year business proposal plan.

I'm gathering info from first run sites (or whatever they call them) like Twitter.

New high fuel efficient "Pentastar" V6 engine coming 2nd Quarter 2010
Fiat 1.4-liter Multiair engine for the Fiat 500 in 4thQuarter for the North American market - 1.4lliter Multiair turbo for 2011; will this car be a hit? It is a really neat car.
Dodge Ram pickups will go on as planned. Modifications will come 2012. Mid size Dakota will die for 2011 model year and will be replaced by a new unibody pickup of U.S. origin.
Apparently Chrysler has $5.7 billion in cash, up from $4 billion in June after bankruptcy, and broke even in September.
Jeep Diesel technology in planning.
Chrysler plans three new Fiat vehicles — subcompact, compact and midsize (Avenger replacement) — for Dodge brand by 2013.

Marchionne stepped into Fiat Five years ago, Fiat was perceived by many as a failing, sluggish, that produced low-quality cars - Much of Chrysler's current situation. Not sure how well Fiat is doing today?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:52:03 AM by Elmo187 » Logged
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »

At least they are still keeping jeep. Now that I bought one of the damn things.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:41:30 PM by LSixer » Logged

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »

At least they are still keeping jeep. Now that I bought one of the damn things.

Getting rid of jeep will be like a dairy farmer killing his one cow so he can eat a hamburger. It would just kill them in the end. Not to mention americans are ape shit over wranglers since theyre the last full production solid axle 4x4 convertible. If chrysler lets jeep go, someone else will gobble it up. "Jeep" has seen 5 different parents since the beginning, chrysler wont be the end of it.

Fox
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:25:19 PM »

Jeep Wrangler will receive "major modifications" in 2011 according to Mr. Manley (brand CEO of Jeep)
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

Jeep Wrangler will receive "major modifications" in 2011 according to Mr. Manley (brand CEO of Jeep)

Namely a diesel.....which everyone but north america already has.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

This is interesting......

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »

This is interesting......

The diesel part is interesting, the start and stop thing sounds terrible.
Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »

The diesel part is interesting, the start and stop thing sounds terrible.

x1000

I drove a new insight that did that engine shut off thing at a full stop. It felt like I was driving a golf cart through town. I can imagine it will be even worse on a diesel.

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:53:43 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something because I haven't really done much reading on these cars with with the stop/start systems, but it seems to me that there would be a hell of a lot of wear and tear on starters, flywheels, batteries, etc. with this set up. How often are these items going to need replaced compared to conventional set ups? I mean most people only start their cars a few times a day. With this system, if you drive in town a lot wouldn't it be like starting your car 50,60,100 times a day?

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something because I haven't really done much reading on these cars with with the stop/start systems, but it seems to me that there would be a hell of a lot of wear and tear on starters, flywheels, batteries, etc. with this set up. How often are these items going to need replaced compared to conventional set ups? I mean most people only start their cars a few times a day. With this system, if you drive in town a lot wouldn't it be like starting your car 50,60,100 times a day?

x100

Also, think about the constant loss of oil pressure on hot bearings, and how many revolutions theyre going to endure before pressure is restored with all of these starts.

LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

Well hopefully the start/stop will be an option that we can choose to omit then. Im stuck with this thing now for a spell. However, I see the jeep as something that I can retain for utility later on in life when it gets old. I can buy a new car later (few years), and keep the jeep for those bad snow days when it is the only way to get around.

If I end up liking this thing, I may go for a new one with diesel.

Fuel Fire Desire
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »

Well hopefully the start/stop will be an option that we can choose to omit then. Im stuck with this thing now for a spell. However, I see the jeep as something that I can retain for utility later on in life when it gets old. I can buy a new car later (few years), and keep the jeep for those bad snow days when it is the only way to get around.

If I end up liking this thing, I may go for a new one with diesel.

Aside from my quality issues (all covered under my lifetime warranty) I love the jeep for what it is. It is fantastic in seemingly impassible off road obstacles, and unstoppable in winter conditions, even with snow deeper than the axles. The only reason why I want to be rid of it, is because I REALLY miss the feel of horsepower, and I cant afford two cars right now. If I had another $500/ month coming in, Id probably be leasing a new camaro, and highlining the jeep....that is if they (AEV/ MOPAR) ever releases the kit.

If you dont know what a highline is, its a kit for TJ's that raises the fender flares to allow for bigger tires without needing to do a lift (more stable on-road, and preserves the warranty). For the TJ it lets you run 35's, and the JK prototype lets you run 40's.

Highlined TJ.

Highlined JK.

Elmo187

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »

i saw pictures of the JK from SEMA. that is one badass Wrangler.

When asked why they shot the suspect 68 times, Sheriff Grady Judd responded with "That's all the bullets we had."
LSixer
Grand Master

Resident asshole of TAL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »

Mine is starting to grow on me for sure. Even with the 4.0 6banger, you are right, the get up and go aint there. But, I never anticipated having a hot rod when I chose it, so, I am not really disappointed. When I want some more get-up-and-go, I'll drive the bimmer.

Moth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »

That didn't take long. Earlier this morning we showed you a preview sketch of the awesome Mopar Ram Power Wagon that's headed to Easter Jeep Safari later this month in Moab, Utah. Now, our spies have snapped pics of the real deal, and we're even more in love with it then we were a few hours ago.

Check out that ground clearance for rock crawling and the aggressive approach and departure angles!

The production 2010 Ram Power Wagon is available only as a three-quarter-ton crew cab with a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8, so Mopar definitely has our attention with a shorter wheelbase version.

There's no word on whether Mopar's Power Wagon has the Hemi V-8 lurking under its hood or the 6.7-liter Cummins I-6 diesel. The diesel won't work in the production Power Wagon because its integrated winch blocks the inlet for the diesel's intercooler.

Besides the regular cab configuration, another feature we really like is the Mopar Power Wagon's styleside cargo box that looks like it came from a short bed Ram HD dually. We're thinking that could also work well for a modern Little Red Truck.

We'll bring you more information and pictures of the truck direct from Moab later this month. Stay tuned!

Source: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/03/spied-mopar-ram-power-wagon.html

Hey Sixer, perhaps it's time for a new Raminator?  Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:10:05 PM by Moth » Logged

88 Caprice- 305ci/700r4 combo, 75k miles

09 Challenger R/T- 5 speed auto, Stock for now
Kills: 98+ Camaro Z/28, 07 Mustang GT, Mazdaspeed3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: