theautolounge.net
January 16, 2018, 05:10:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: xXMustangGTXx's 1988 Lincoln Town Car  (Read 9443 times)
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »

Well it went in to the a local shop to determine the problem or shall i say *problems*

I will keep update what I hear next if anyone cares to read...

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »

It appears to be behaving like an electronics problem, (keep in mind that I am not familiar with EEC-IV diagnostics).  If it still surges after all the maintenance items have been done, I would start thinking about things like a Throttle Position Sensor.  But, I'd also check the fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks.  Remember, you're dealing with a 23 year old car.  So, rotting rubber is a real possibility.  I have also seen several surging vehicles in our fleet, usually the early '90s F150s and E-Series vans.  They would also want to die for a split second when you were leaving a stop sign.  A new PCM was need on a few of our trucks .  .  . 

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »

Thanks OCAC for the tip but we took it to the shop a few days ago and omg it was the most simple of things. They said that the thermostat sending and recieving units were ruined and that the cars computer was thinking that the engine was in the warm up stage that all late 1980's early 1990s fords have when they are started in the morning... So the car was driving like that the whole time. Its like when your start your dirtbike or lawn mower for the first time with the motor cold and you use the choke to start it... Well the "choke" was on the whole time we drove the car lol... So ya that explains for the crappy idling, surging, and lack of decent acceleration...  Grin

Anyways its all fixed and my dad took it to some paint shops to get qoutes for a paint job... One was closed that we have been told that is a good one to use, and another he went to qouted him at 900 dollars... I thought that was a little too good to be true but I guess the economy has hurt people and that they are needing to make some money.

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

An erratic ECT sensor, (engine coolant temperature), can cause problems for exactly the reason you mentioned.  The PCM contains different strategies for different conditions.  There is one for cold start, there is one for closed loop, there is one for full throttle, etc.  The way the PCM knows what strategy is required is through things like the ECT, (other inputs include the TPS, O2 sensors, IAT, MAF, etc).  It is programmed to look for these specific inputs and adjust things as required.

On the modern EEC-V vehicle, if an input is really goofy - I've seen ECT sensors send -30 degrees at all times before - or missing altogether, the PCM has an above mentioned pre-programmed strategy for missing inputs.  It switches to that program and turns the MIL on letting you know something is wrong.  The car will probably continue to run fine.

Now, on an older EEC-IV vehicle, the engine management electronics weren't nearly as sophisticated.  So, instead of having a default to switch to when something was wrong, the PCM continued to use whatever the sensor was sending, which often lead to some really bad driveability concerns.  So, if your ECT was behaving erratically, your car could possibly run really bad .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Well shes back from the paint shop.. Yep we had it repainted to the original color, bc the clear coat was gone on the roof and the hood basically... It looks good for 950 bucks and a acrylic paintjob..

I washed it and waxed it today, my arm hates me right now...

Thar she blows!

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »

That's a pimpin' mofo right there. I'd like to have one of those to cruise around in for short road trips with friends.

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »

Damn, that thing is CLEAN!
Fluxx
Grand Master

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

Makes me wish I tried to get my great grandfathers, you'res is very nice.
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »

That's a pimpin' mofo right there. I'd like to have one of those to cruise around in for short road trips with friends.

Yes I imagine you could pick up all kinds of tail at the retirement home RBB.....

peepwall

Damn, that thing is CLEAN!

Makes me wish I tried to get my great grandfathers, you'res is very nice.
Thanks it took me a good amount of time waxing the damn thing, but it was worth it. Also  it came out really good for a 950 dollar paintjob if I say so myself...

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »

Very nice.  I like that color, especially with the matching interior .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 04:21:15 PM »

Ok so far there is a problem with the car. This morning it wouldn't start up, it turned over and over but wouldn't start. I'm going to pull the fuses and check them all and see if the fuel pump fuse is blown. It could also be a bad coil and Im going to try and get the coil thats on our F150 on the Town Car and see if that helps.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed as I try to fix this...

Rather B.Blown
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »

First I would stick your head under the rear of the car at the gas tank and have someone turn the switch on and see if you hear the pump kick on. If not check fuses, and also check the emergency fuel pump shut off switch (usually in the trunk behind one of the clothlike panels on the sides).

racer91
Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

trade it for one of these

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »

Update so far. I pulled the fuses all of them are good, I found the fuel shutoff switch and reset it and then I sprayed starter fluid in the intake. It started up but didnt run for more than a second so I guess what I mean is that it sputtered to life a little then died when it ran out of the fuel starter spray. This leads me to believe the electronics are fine and that the fuel pump itself is need of replacement or the fuel regulator... I did not hear the typical whir when you turn the ignition on to the accessories like you normally would which makes me believe its the fuel pump..

Thanks for the help and Racer I would love the 4v 4.6L V8 that the Mark VII has but not so much the way they look. If I could I would the Mark VII engine in this thing to get rid of this emission strangled sunofagun 302 V8 that it has...

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:27 AM »

+ 1 on the fuel pump.  I've seen similar things happen.  Sometimes, you have enough fuel pressure to start the car.  But not enough to do anything else.  I have heard fuel pumps operate, (or at least sound like they operate), but not produce enough pressure.  Also, some of the GM truck fuel pumps have a small, 3 inch piece of hose that connects the pump to the lines within the fuel pump assembly.  After years of sitting in gas, the rubber hose rots and splits.  So, the pump may be producing lots of pressure only to have the fuel it is pushing flow out of that split hose.

Always install a new fuel filter with a new pump .  .  .

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: