theautolounge.net
January 20, 2018, 06:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: xXMustangGTXx's 1988 Lincoln Town Car  (Read 9456 times)
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »

Well I was bored tonight so I thought I would share another car that we own. Yep some of yall might remeber the Lincoln so heres what my family picked up. Its a 1988 Lincoln Town Car in short we bought this boat in July of this year for only $1500 bucks! It was owned by a very cool gentleman that is a WW2 Veteran, he had some interesting stories to tell and he saw the Atomic bomb blast from Hiroshima, he was based on the USS Livingston out by Japans coast, since Im a WW2 nut we had some great conversations while my parents looked at the car. He lives in the same neighborhood so naturally I grew up and always thought this car was sweet it has been garaged its whole life btw. So heres the info about it the A/C was ice cold, engine is a good ole 5.0L that had 73,000 miles on it but now has 76,000 miles. It was a steal but 2 months after we bought it the A/C went out so me and my dad learned how to change and replace an entire A/C system for cheap too; compared to going to a shop that would have charged $900 to $1,000. Grin

Its a great car to drive, to tell you the truth I love to drive it as much as I can, especially with friends cause they get a kick out of it. It has leather seats which can easily seat 6 people, the trunk is the best thing about it, and its so smooth at 95mph too!  Cheesy But thats what (I HAVE HEARD)
It gets 14mpg in the city and 16 on the highway so not to shabby but not the best, but thats what you pay for luxury!

Here are some pics

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:39:07 PM by 03_TrueBlue_GT » Logged

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

A blind squirrel looking for a nut . . .

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:57:39 PM »

Wow, yours only gets 16 mpg on the highway ?  My '82 Mark VI would normally get in the 19-23 range, depending on the terrain.  If I was easy on the throttle, it would get as much as 25 .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

Its when I drive I usually go 75 but if we go 65 its better but I havent checked, the tank usually lasts till 290 miles in mostly city driving with my mom driving it, its mostly her car.

RatherBNarizona
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »

I'm not gonna lie, that it sweet
I would roll around in that, my buddies would love it

Mac
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »

We may be getting a new Lincoln soon, it all depends if my dad wants to sell his car or not.
If we do get it this is what it will be

Im not going to lie, if he does get this I wouldnt mind because I would love to cruise in this thing.... Cheesy

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:45:58 AM »

We may be getting a new Lincoln soon, it all depends if my dad wants to sell his car or not.
If we do get it this is what it will be

Im not going to lie, if he does get this I wouldnt mind because I would love to cruise in this thing.... Cheesy

They are nice, comfortable cars, no doubt, awesome cruisers !  From my experience, that platform is considered to be generally problem free, a nice benefit.

Now, THIS  is more my style Lincoln .  .  .

I have loved these cars since they were new.  If I can find one close to me that is nice, I may go for it .  .  . if my wife will let me .  .  .  Grin

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

Yeah the 2003 is really nice its a whole different world from the 1988, but for me it lacked character which the 1988 has. Grin

You should def jump on a deal if you see what you are looking for man, I hope your car search goes well!

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »

my friends dad had one of those lincoln town cars. Don't remember the year, but it was the body style of the 94 lincolns. It had nice leather, and the front seats had the option of being a bench seat if you fold the armrest up. Smoothe ride, and digital speedometer Cheesy

Unfortunately, he traded it for an 06 lexus ES 330, which lacks the personality of the lincoln. Why trade a rich man's lincoln for a poor man's lexus? I'd rather drive a top model toyota avalon than a base model lexus, even though they may be based on the same platform.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:17:30 AM by Jakashh » Logged
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »

Guys I need help here.

The Town car has been acting up lately... The problem with the car is when it is started it doesnt matter if its a cold or warm start the engine surges and sometimes when the car is parked on an incline it wont start at all and if it does it shoots out lots of black smoke and smells like fuel... The best part is when your driving it drives itself, you dont have to add gas at speeds around 0-30mph it just goes on its own when you let go of the brake pedal...

Now Im not mechanic but Im guessing that the fuel pump is really weak or the regulator is going out to cause this... Now Can yall help narrow this down cause my dad doesnt have teh time to work on this car and I want to do something to fix it.. This car is a 1988 Lincoln Town Car with the Fuel Injected 5.0L V8. It currently has about 79,000-80000 miles on it but Im not entirely sure because I hardly drive it bc its my moms DD.

Thanks I will try to get a video up of it idling soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:47:31 PM by 03_TrueBlue_GT » Logged

Imran
So nice to meet you.
Global Moderator
Grand Master

So nice to meet you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »

IAC? that could explain the surging and accellerating w/out applicated throttle. My iac needs to be cleaned, and at times it surges slightly and lunges forward at stoplights lmao.
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »

By IAC you mean Idle Air Control Valve? When we first got it we cleaned up the throttle to get rid of the Carbon buildup but that was 10,000 miles ago, I could give it another go to try to clean it...

Thanks for the input Jak but nobody else has any idears?? Undecided

I thought this was a automotive forum? JK Tongue

Syncros
Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »

Mr.Clarkson has a strong opinion on these.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzpx_jUUA0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzpx_jUUA0</a>
03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

Haha yes I have seen that video, everything is true about it except for finding the half eaten sandwich. Grin

But ya I will be working on getting a video up to show the problems...

Oldcarsarecool
Senior Turd Polisher
Administrator
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »

The IAC is a good starting point.  Years ago, Ford had an official cleaning procedure for an IAC.  However, cleaning turned out to be nothing more than a temporary measure.  The only real way to solve IAC problems was to replace it.

I have also seen throttle position switches from the day cause surging.  Also, when was the last time you did regular maintenance, (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter) ?

I find it interesting that Clarkson keeps talking about "late '70s cars," even though he is driving a late '80s Lincoln .  .  .

03_TrueBlue_GT
Grand Master

Doug

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »

Update!

I havent had any time really to mess with the car lately and I dont want to take something apart and it screw it up to where a mechanic would have to fix it..

Also it still idles rough, hard to start *have to have the foot on the gas pedal sometimes*, the coolant line likes to pop off randomly, and it surges still. I dont understand this car, we replaced all the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, and ran seafoam through it 3 times. Its gotten to the point where it stranded my mom the other day and now she wants to get rid of it.  Now my car loving side of me looks past all the flaws on this car and I love it. Sure the clear coat is coming off faster than a wrapper on a candybar with a fat kid, but I think if it had the garage it would survive! Also I took a couple of friends for a ride to the track in it one night and they all liked it, the most comfortable car they had ever been in they said.  Grin Plus for some odd reason it got really good mileage on the 80 mile round trip....
Idk Im trying to convince her to keep it but since Im not a mechanic I dont know how bad it is...

Sorry if anyone reads thins I just wanted to say what has been going on with the old boat... I hope we can still keep it because I dont think anyone else would care about the car and just pick it clean for parts...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: